The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 24, 2001, 03:07 PM   #1
CITADELGRAD87

Anybody Use the Electronic Scale and Dispenser Combo?

I load on a single stage, and the only thing that seems to take forever is dispensing, waiting for that danged beam scale to stop swaying.

An electronic scale seems to be the ticket, and a dispenser that "talks" to the scale (I see a few "brands" in Midway, but they appear identical) would be even faster.

Locals seem to think that this is madness and a waste of money.

Anybody use this setup and reccomend either way?

Thanks.
Old August 24, 2001, 04:23 PM   #2
Willy

I can comment on the scale. I have the Pact scale and dispenser combo but I have not had time yet to use the dispenser for anything significant so I will leave that up to someone else.

The scale is fast, accurate, easy to zero, and I have not had any problems with it in terms of errant readings due to air flowing around it, say from a air conditioning outlet. I have a de-humidifier that runs about 6 feet from it and stirs up the air, and it doesn't bother the scale. I do think, from reading all the warnings packed with it, that the load cell should be treated as a delicate device. I don't know it it would survive a fall from the bench onto concrete.

By the way, you are correct that Pact makes their version and the RCBS branded model. I have found the Pact to be advertised cheaper. I know that Midway has the combo on sale now.

Hope that helps a little.
Old August 24, 2001, 05:22 PM   #3
Bogie

What cartridges are you loading? The $$ spent on the dispensing scale could possibly be better spent on a good powder measure... FWIW, in an article in Precision Shooting, just about all the measures came out the same - what matters is user consistency.

And making the world's greatest bottle openers!
Old August 24, 2001, 06:15 PM   #4
CITADELGRAD87

Thanks guys, I DO measure EVERY throw, I'm loading for my HKSR9T, .308. I'm very happy with my loads, they just take forever because of the beam scale.

THe problem is SPEED. Beam seems slow, these seem fast.
Old August 24, 2001, 11:14 PM   #5
blades67

If you weigh each load, it would make sense for you. They are faster, but not fast when compared to a good powder measure.

I hunt, therefore I am.
Old August 24, 2001, 11:24 PM   #6
dick w. holliday

doubt i'll ever need one since i weight one load to set the measure and then load until i run out of something....Dick
Old August 25, 2001, 07:31 AM   #7
MADISON

Electronic Powder Measure and Scales

For the life of me I can not see why anyone would spend $200 + for the electric powder measure and $100 to $250 for a set of electronic scales to see how accurate, they are not...
Old August 25, 2001, 12:06 PM   #8
Steve Smith

I agree with Bogie. If ANYONE should know about whether you need to weigh each charge or not, it's him...he's a Benchrester. Get a good powder measure and develop a consistent movement.

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member
Old August 25, 2001, 03:28 PM   #9
Charmedlyfe

I've got the RCBS-marked rig, and I'm happy with it. The problem with mechanical measures is that different powder meters differently. Also, it does take time and practice to get the motion right. With ball powder, I don't have a problem with a mechanical measure, but with anything else, I use the rig.

As to the motion argument, At least with the digital rig, you KNOW what the weight is, whereas with the mechanical measure you are blindly trusting, unless you measure every throw and then trickle up.

I have had ZERO problems loading with my digital equipment in six years of loading with it. I'm satisfied with the dispenser, and it really does work at an acceptable speed (better than throw low/measure/trickle up).

It really depends on what you are comfortable with. Some people are technically proficient with electronic devices (actually read the manual), and some aren't. Each goes with what they are comfortable with. Both systems are reliable, it comes down to what you like. I actually have fun setting up the digital.
Old August 26, 2001, 03:32 AM   #10
Clark

http://www.realguns.com/archives/031.htm
http://www.realguns.com/archives/032.htm
Old August 26, 2001, 08:59 AM   #11
Doctari

I like the electronic scales because they throw repeatable charges, work better on stick rifle powders than a mechanical thrower, and are much faster than me

I can seat a bullet and inspect a finished cartridge while the dispenser is throwing my next charge. They are also easier to develop loads with. Particularly the RCBS as you just punch in the weight you want thrown and increase a little for each batch of shells.

That being said, I have found you need to keep the tricklers powder colum at a roughly consistent height or it will start to throw .1 grains off as the weight of the powder column changes. Easy enought to top of the powder every so often.

They are worth the expense to me, but if you are shooting a lot of ball or flake powder probably not.

Mike