The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 26, 2013, 10:57 AM   #26
GWS

Nobody has mentioned my favorite....RCBS APS Hand Primer.

Used Lees for 30 years....haven't tried their latest 2 models. I decided to try the APS version of RCBS's Universal Hand Primer instead, because I already have lots and lots of CCI APS pre-stripped primers for use in my Pro 2000 press.

What a nice tool! Convenient and fast. No shell holders needed, no dumping primers in a tray....no spilling primers when I'm a klutz. Hell ... no handling a primer...ever.

There are plenty of people who don't use a Pro 2000 who see the advantage of buying stripped primers and either using RCBS's APS bench primer or hand primer.

6mmbr.com reviewed it and loved it.

I reviewed it in pictures here.
Old September 26, 2013, 01:11 PM   #27
F. Guffey

FrankenMauser,

“F. Guffey - I wasn't referring to the 'half moon' dents. In my experience, those are caused by a poorly machined shell holder that allows the case to sit off-center, or allows it to tip - something that can cause problems with all brands of hand primers that use any kind of shell holder”

And RCBS offered me a new shell holder, I did not need another shell holder, in my opinion RCBS is too kind, I called them to offer a suggestion, they recalled working with ‘the other reloader’, instead of asking me what I thought, they offered me a shell holder after informing them I loaned him two RCBS auto hand primers that did not correct his problem, from that they decided I needed a shell holder.

In post 12 I said “I have no less than 10,000+ 9mm cases, the half moon dent is not centered” In all appearance that looks fragmented, no one ask if the extractor groove was the same for all cases, no one ask why the dent was not centered.

RCBS shell holders are my favorite because they are versatile, meaning they are loose, I know, the number one answer is ‘floating and centering’ loose means I can size cases for short chamber, as much as .017” shorter than a minimum length case from the head of the case to it’s shoulder and I can size cases that are longer than a field reject chamber by .002”, or out to infinity. That answer is not in the top 20 answers when listing uses for a shell holder.

I also have shell holder that do not have the ability to float/center a case, they do have an advantage over loose shell holders.

F. Guffey

Last edited by F. Guffey; September 26, 2013 at 01:13 PM. Reason: add have
Old September 26, 2013, 01:18 PM   #28
Romeo 33 Delta

I use Lee, both the old, round tray and the new square tray versions. No problems with either, though the cover on the new models will stay in place if you set the unit down! I only prime with my press for the few calibers I load that have BIG base and rim diameters ... .577 Snider, .577-450 M-H and the like.
Old September 26, 2013, 01:21 PM   #29
F. Guffey

GWS, R Lee reviewed the strip primer system in his book on modern reloading, that had to be a few years back. If memory serves me correctly he was no kinder to RCBS than he was with Federal and their primers. Federal did not donate primers to be tested, for more information I suggest reloaders read the book.

F. Guffey
Old September 26, 2013, 01:44 PM   #30
eldermike

Quote:
I know it was not mentioned or asked about but is anyone using the Sinclair hand primer? I just got mine yesterday. set up and adjustment was easy. little use thus far but i'm impressed. great feel to it. its not the fastest way to go, but I knew that going in.
Yep, It's a great tool. I sold mine when I stopped shooting bench rest rifle as part of a total package of dies, gun and various things needed to start shooting.
Old September 26, 2013, 11:41 PM   #31
GWS

Quote:
GWS, R Lee reviewed the strip primer system in his book on modern reloading, that had to be a few years back. If memory serves me correctly he was no kinder to RCBS than he was with Federal and their primers. Federal did not donate primers to be tested, for more information I suggest reloaders read the book.

F. Guffey
Nobody is surprised about that. He must have been especially mad since he designed the primer feeder systems of both his progressives using CCI primers. BTW, to users of his progressives: If you are having fits keeping primers running smoothly down the feed tubes, try the CCI's.....they work way better.
Old September 27, 2013, 07:03 AM   #32
Mavrick79

I'd avoid the RCBS, the one that uses shell holders. I have one and cannot get it to stop putting half moon circle dents on the primers. The ram/shaft on its too small and is not supported well enough by the plastic guide. I had RCBS send me out some new parts and I still had the same problem. I ended up buying the RCBS bench priming tool, the one that uses the tube, not the strips.

On the other hand I do hear the hand RCBS universal one is pretty good although I cannot comment on it personally.
Old September 27, 2013, 10:08 PM   #33
F. Guffey

Mavrick79, I have two RCBS auto primers, I have no issue with the half moon dents, the dents are cosmetic. I do not have an issue with loose shell holders, meaning I have shell holders that have a variable deck height, some have as much as .012”. When seating a primer the case is pushed up and away from the shell holder deck leaving the case to center in the slot of the shell holder.

If the case tilts, tips or cants it can not align with the priming ram.

G. Guffey
Old September 27, 2013, 10:32 PM   #34
Nick_C_S

More I read in this string, the more I like my Lee Auto-Prime.

Guess I got it right the first time
Old September 28, 2013, 12:12 AM   #35
GWS

Nick, the only thing wrong with the Lee Auto Prime is that Lee quit making them, and the tool could light up Federal Primers often enough that Lee warned against using them. But....when you break yours, and you will, you will have to choose another...either one of Lee's "improved models" or another brand.

As the picture below indicates, I started using Lee hand primers back when the tool loaded primers one at a time like Sinclair's. My next one with the tray was a great improvement. Used it many years. When I upgraded to the APS RCBS unit, I gave my Auto Prime away. I find it much faster to use, otherwise just as good, more comfortable to use for long periods, and best of all, stong as a tank. I have NEVER experienced this "half moon" business with the APS unit. No shell holders needed at all, so no "loose" shell holders.

Old September 28, 2013, 09:43 AM   #36
F. Guffey

GWS, R. Lee did not test Federal primers because Federal did not donate primers to be tested. He made it very clear in his book on modern reloading, he did not test Federal primers because he did not have Federal primers to test. Rather than say something like "I do not have data on Federal primers because I did not have Federal primers to test".

He was not kind to RCBS for another reason, and I did say "For more information, read the book"

F. Guffey
Old September 29, 2013, 01:04 AM   #37
GWS

Quote:
He was not kind to RCBS for another reason, and I did say "For more information, read the book"
You don't go Ford to get accurate information about Chevy. In the same way, you don't read Lee's propaganda to get real information about RCBS. Lee's book is one of the few I don't have.....can't for the life of me think why I need to buy it.....certainly not to read about the faults of RCBS. The only Lee tools I still have, not counting a few pistol die sets, is a Target Model Lee Loader in .243...along with these:

plus another original hand primer, in addition to the one included in the Target Loader. These tools are keepers as they are some of the first tools I bought 40 years ago along with my first Rock Chucker Kit.

Last edited by GWS; September 29, 2013 at 09:21 AM.
Old September 30, 2013, 06:57 AM   #38
stubbicatt

I used the Lee AutoPrime I think it was called for 25+ years. Only recently have I chosen a RCBS APS strip hand primer tool. It is much better, both in terms of the results I get, as well as in use. No more thumb cramping...

They are both good tools, the RCBS is just better is all.