The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 17, 2013, 11:54 AM   #1
iraiam

ruined my perfect record:(

I've been reloading extensively for 20 years, tens of thousands of rounds loaded and fired, not one single misfire until today. I had one 9mm cartridge with a little bit too much bulge get by me, just enough of a bulge it locked up the M9 before it went into battery.

It was from a batch of old military 9mm brass that I did have issues with loading 147 grain FMJ in during the worst of the component shortage.

Dang it! At least it was an easy fix, i just released the extractor from the rim of the case with a tiny screwdriver, locked the pistol open and tapped the stuck round out of the chamber.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old August 17, 2013, 10:07 PM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

I've been reloading since the middle to late 1970s with a perfect record until I did this a few years ago.

9.8 grains of WW 231 makes quite a bang.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old August 17, 2013, 10:55 PM   #3
BuckRub

yep, you reload enough and be as careful as possible and check and doudle check and sooner or later you'll be boo boo somewhere.
Old August 18, 2013, 07:15 AM   #4
grumpa72

Hmm, I hope that "bound to happen" is behind me. I have only been reloading for 4 years and my first batch of 9mm had one round that was a squib, primer only. I have since changed my procedures such that if there is even a shred of a doubt I stop and examine the round in question. Yesterday I was reloading and noticed that my powder hopper was nearing empty. I said to myself (quietly since I don't talk to myself YET) "it is only taking 4.3 grains and I can finish the remaining two rows". Nope. I noticed that my last casing has a dusting of powder so I pulled the previous 10 rounds just to be sure. I am careful but I screw up now and then and have caught my screw ups so far.
Old August 18, 2013, 05:44 PM   #5
BigJimP

I suspect a "case gague" would have caught that round ...allowing you to reject it - before you boxed it up.

I will occasionally have a case with a small crack or a bulge or a burr on the base...( sometimes a small crack will show up, after you seat the bullet )...and a case gague, is the way I check every round -as I box em up. It only takes about 1 minute per box ...for a little more piece of mind - and one last final check !

We all know the risks associated with reloading...and I don't think a mistake is inevitable / if you follow careful procedures, keep your bench clean - and keep your eyes and ears tuned to issues on your press.

It is possible to load for many years - without an overcharge or an undercharge ! ...and presses with powder check dies help us !
Old August 18, 2013, 07:02 PM   #6
Wreck-n-Crew

Don't feel bad I had some crappy factory ammo do it to me during the shortage. Was some import from Russia in a blue box (forget the brand).

I have been blessed with feeding well and not overloading. But I have forgot to charge the case. Luckily the magnum primers pushed the round out!

Since then I charge 50 rounds and do a visual check before seating and crimping. Been good so far.

Quote:
I've been reloading since the middle to late 1970s with a perfect record until I did this a few years ago.
WOW! Nothing like an uh oh to get the blood a pumping.
Old August 18, 2013, 10:11 PM   #7
LSU

I'm back into reloading after a long time away. I started on a single stage RCBS back in the 70's and I loaded tens of thousands of rounds, one by one.

I'm now using a Dillon 550B (having loaded about 1000 rounds so far) without any issues BUT . . .

Today I took out some .40 S&W that I'd loaded. These rounds were loaded with 180 grain SNS LRN. CCI primers.

I had two "misfires". I was very unhappy (with myself).

After looking at the two misfires, I found what I think were two light primer strikes. I had two failure to fires out of the 100 "test" rounds I'd loaded.

First time I'd ever had a misfire - ever.

I checked the two rounds. The primers on both of them had slight dents on them.

I reloaded the rounds and they fired perfectly.

In retrospect, I think I didn't seat the primers deep enough in the primer pockets.

I blame myself for not seating the primers deep enough but I thought I'd "finger" checked the primers to make sure they were all seated.

No question - my error on the loading but I'm going to learn from my mistakes.

Of course, I've got some more .40 to shoot and I'm going to check the seated primers. If I found any that look "high" I'm going to mark them with a Sharpie and see if these "misfire".
Old August 19, 2013, 10:12 AM   #8
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally posted by BigJimP:

We all know the risks associated with reloading...and I don't think a mistake is inevitable / if you follow careful procedures, keep your bench clean - and keep your eyes and ears tuned to issues on your press

I agree. Saying it WILL happen sooner or later is much different than saying it COULD happen.
Old August 19, 2013, 06:18 PM   #9
Boomer58cal

I've always charged one case at a time, visually inspected the powder to charge and then seated bullet. I've always done one at a time but that's just me. I also tend to use powders that mostly fill the case decreasing the odds of a double charge.

Boomer
Old August 19, 2013, 06:58 PM   #10
BigJimP

I like reloading ....but I like shooting more...( speed is not the goal / maximum accuracy is the goal ) !....

....but when I realized I could get a progressive machine, especially for handgun calibers, -- with a case feeder and a "powder check die" ---that gave me a higher volume ( 800 rounds an hour is easy ).....and a significant increase in safety by making sure the powder drop was within its goal ranges...I've long since left the single stage operations / for a Dillon 650 press for all of my metallic reloads.

I loaded about 25 boxes of .357 Mag on Sunday afternoon ...in under 3 hours ( and that included case gageing every round as I boxed it up .....and a break and a snack...)...and then I went over to my local range with 3 guns and 4 boxes of .357 Mag ...and 4 boxes of 9mm - for some tactical practice and entertainment.

I like the added safety feature that the "powder check die" gives me - not that I rely on it exclusively....but its that little extra that makes me feel better. All day long my powder drops -when I measured them were right on the goal of 6.1 grains ..../ I rejected 2 rounds ...( both with small case cracks that opened up after I seated the bullets )...and set them aside to be pulled later.
--------------
modern progressive presses ...just make this part of the hobby better in my view ! You can get a higher quality cartridge ...and improve your safety at the same time - with a good press like a Dillon 650 or Hornaday LNL...in my view.
----------
I also loaded up about 20 boxes of 12ga ( clay target shells ) ...so I can go out to the club on Tue for some Skeet and sporting clays...( it took me under an hour on a MEC 9000 HN press ) to get those 20 boxes done.