The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 5, 2012, 07:39 AM   #1
sharpeyes

45-70 Shotgun Shells

I own a very elegant, single barrel fowling shotgun. This little woman’s partridge gun was made in Spain, probably in the 1930’s and appears to be chambered to use 45-70 brass reloaded into shotgun shells. Apparently, empty 45-70 brass was plentiful in Spain at the time.
Smaller 410 shells work but because they are too small the brass splits and the shell needs to be pushed out.
I have made shells for this gun from 45-70 brass filled with the load from a .410 shell. This is the right size shell, but the head is a little too thick and works only with “adjustments”.
My question is – Has anyone ever heard of this before? Was there (or is there) a commercial source for shotgun shells in this size?
Old December 5, 2012, 08:42 AM   #2
Salmoneye

I need pics lol

Welcome, BTW...

Are you saying that you can chamber a .45-70 in this gun, or is it clearly marked as such?

There was a 40 Gauge that should fit this, but it is long obsolete...

As for loaded shotshell ammo in .45-70, I am aware of none...

It is a simple enough matter to load empty cases, but I have not done so for .45-70...I do load for .357 and .44 Mag quite effectively...
Old December 5, 2012, 08:47 AM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

Are you sure that your shotgun isn't chambered for 32 gauge shotshells?

I can't imagine any reason why the .45-70 would have been common in Spain in the 1930s, but I do know that 24, 32, and other oddball European gauges were still being made in a number of countries at that time.

Dimensionally the .45-70 and the 32 gauge are pretty similar.

There are also several other possible cartridges that it could be.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old December 5, 2012, 07:02 PM   #4
LarryFlew

Believe I have an empty for one like that.

The brass says ".410x75mag" on it. slightly shorter than 2 3/4 .410 shell BUT diameter is larger than standard .410. can't tell what the 3 letters are for brand at this point.