The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 6, 2009, 05:50 PM   #1
verti89

What increment should you work up loads by?

Pretty basic question. My dad and I are ready to start working some loads up from the starting load. So what is the standard to increase by? Do you increase a 10th of a grain at a time, a certain % or what? Do you guys do several workups at a time then shoot them, so like 10 bullets at each increase then go shoot them? This seems reasonable assuming you take care to look at the cases after each load and stop shooting at the first sign of pressure issues. Just wondering what other folks do and I couldn't easily find an answer by searching the forums.
Old September 6, 2009, 06:52 PM   #2
Blue

Load Workup

First off - look at your reloading manual and thoroughly read the chapter on reloading safety. In the Speer Manual (# 13 & # 14) it is Chapter 6. In the Lyman #49 manual it starts on page 14. After digesting the safety section you might want to consider reading this article on Optimal Weight Charge determination.

http://optimalchargeweight.embarqspace.com/

This works pretty well and can give you some good ideas to start off with.

Let us know how it goes.
Old September 6, 2009, 06:59 PM   #3
jamaica

That is going to depend on what you are loading, how much powder you start with and how many grains spread there is in the charts from min to max.

Most manuals give a start load. Start there. Some data sheets only give the max load. In this case I start 10% down.
For a pistol load that takes less than 5 grains, you may want to just increase a tenth or two tenths at a time. For a rifle that will use 50 grains you can go one or two grains at a time.

For rifle, I like to make three sets of three with an increase for each set, then go shoot them. For pistol, I will usually load up a magazine load for each level. I want to see if it will reliably cycle the gun. My point here is to avoid loading very many at a time, because it ain't fun to dissemble a bunch of hot loads.

Be safe!
Old September 6, 2009, 07:16 PM   #4
Gbro

1st off, what are you loading and what kind of equipment do you have for measuring?
One of the Gurus here stated that it is best to work with a minimum of 3/10 gr. as under this your scale may not give you precise readings. I have to agree but I do work with 5/10 gr each step, and load 5-10 loads for testing. Pressure signs, group size, and velocity are noted or watched for.

And
Quote:
so like 10 bullets at each increase then go shoot them?
!0 loads or cartridges, but bullets is just fine if your loading a muzzle loader.
Old September 6, 2009, 07:29 PM   #5
verti89

LOL I can't believe I actually typed bullets. I am reloading handgun ammo, .38 .40, .45, .44, .357. And I have read the chapter in the Speer book, the problem is it says to increase 'in small increments.' So my question is what is a small increment? For the record my current powders include unique, bullseye, red dot, clays, and power pistol. Anyhow thanks for the help it sounds like the 10th grain increments not exceeding the max load is a pretty good base line...time to go make some BOOLITS.
Old September 6, 2009, 07:35 PM   #6
Gbro

You posted earlier,
Quote:
My dad and I are ready to start working some loads up from the starting load.
Now you are going to,
Quote:
time to go make some BOOLITS.
To me that means you are now going to fire up the melting pot and cast some bullets.
Or was that another typo?

And for handgun cartridges I would go with 3/10 increments and then with bullseye that can be a lot!
Old September 6, 2009, 07:43 PM   #7
verti89

The second reference to boolits was me mocking myself from an earlier post.