The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 15, 2008, 03:14 PM   #1
under_dawg

30-30 and Lee Dipper 2.2

I was wanting to use the dipper that came with my Lee 30-30 dies to keep it simple for charging the cases. Lee's book has starting load 32.8gr & a max charge of 36gr of reloder 15 for 150gr jacketed bullet. My Speer book shows start load of 30.0gr & a max load of 34gr for their jacketed 150gr. The 2.2 dipper is averaging 29.2gr on this particular lot of reloder 15 I have. The next size up (2.5) dipper gives an avg of 34.1 gr. Anybody using dipper for 150gr jacketed bullet for lever action & reloder 15? If so what are ya'll using? I am using Sierra bullets.

Last edited by under_dawg; May 15, 2008 at 03:15 PM. Reason: add brand of bullet (Sierra)
Old May 15, 2008, 03:30 PM   #2
jaguarxk120

If you are Sierra bullets then check on what Sierra recomends. Sometimes trying to keep it simple will lead you into a dead end. Use a good scale and powder measure (Redding-RCBS-Hornady) . TF
Old May 16, 2008, 08:08 AM   #3
Leeman

Not enough information.

Hi under dawg,
You don't mention the name of the powder.
Except for isolated cartridges the data in the Modern Reloading is not from Lee, it is from the powder suppliers. See the rear cover, It reads, "Over 26,000 loads in a new format, with velocities for starting loads. This is the best kind of load data - it is supplied by the powder companies,"

Who's self interest is best served by supplying good load data? The powder company.
Old May 16, 2008, 03:33 PM   #4
under_dawg

Not enough information.

The powder is Reloder 15.
Old May 17, 2008, 06:54 AM   #5
Leeman

Your doing everything right.

The 2.2 dipper is the largest Lee dipper that does not exceed the suggested starting load. The 2.5 dipper exceeds the starting reccomendation and drops 35.4 grains of Reloder 15 when the powder is manufactured to the high end of the powder density. This would put you near the maximum charge and should be safe provided you strike the dipper level.

Because you checked the charge on a scale you found the dipper dispenses only 34.1 grins of Reloader 15, which is within the comfort range of being less than the 36 grain maximum charge (because your batch of powder is of a lighter denity and most likely within the manufacturing tolerance) the 2.5 dipper will give you near suggested factory velocities.

When you buy a new can of powder, it may have a different density and give different results.