The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old November 5, 2012, 02:15 AM   #1
Keepin_Jeepin

8mm Mauser surplus ammo

Where is the best Surplus ammo to buy?

I just got some 7.9 Yugo Sniper ammo for my 8mm Mauser, and now I have been searching online for cheap stuff.

I found this...................................

Its 1930s surplus . Not sure if its worth the risk

http://www.jgsales.com/8mm-mauser-pe...e.-p-6817.html

Or does anyone else know any other sources?

Here is the gun

Old November 5, 2012, 10:56 AM   #2
emcon5

Haven't heard a whole lot of positive about the Persian stuff. Some people are reporting hang fires.

The best stuff out there is the Yugo sniper stuff.

The only other option I have seen is the regular Yugo surplus, I think SOG still has some.

All of it is corrosive, so clean accordingly.

If you plan on reloading, it may make more sense to just buy new Privi ammo and save the brass:
http://www.sgammo.com/product/prvi-p...mj-match-pp813
Old November 5, 2012, 06:44 PM   #3
tahunua001

nice 98 you have there. most people wouldn't shoot surplus out of one that nice.
Old November 5, 2012, 07:24 PM   #4
emcon5

It is a Mitchell. It doesn't really have any collector value.
Old November 7, 2012, 04:41 AM   #5
Keepin_Jeepin

After reading that thread I wonder if I should trade the gun. i had a pretty good offer trading it and a sig 552 for an ingram .45 mac10.

hmmmm
Old November 7, 2012, 02:29 PM   #6
Jimro

If you want to blast away with cheap ammo, by all means trade your rifle. Mitchells are generally good shooters though.

This stuff is good to go. Save your brass for someone who reloads.
http://ammo.net/prvi-partizan-8mm-am...-prvi-partizan

If you want to add a scope, Sarco still has some of the reproduction ZF39's and mounts in stock, if you care about being "period correct."

Jimro
Old November 7, 2012, 04:34 PM   #7
emcon5

SG Has the Privi stuff for $3 cheaper per box.

http://www.sgammo.com/catalog/rifle-...ion/8mm-mauser

There is nothing wrong with shooting surplus ammo, even if it was a pristine numbers matching original.

Some people seem to think that "corrosive" primed ammo is caustic and will damage the gun, and this is not true. It is only corrosive because of salts in the priming compound, which will attract water, and therefore lead to rust if the salts are not removed. All this means, is if you shoot corrosive ammo, you just need to clean the gun shortly thereafter.

In reality, every round fired through a military surplus rifle up to the point they ended up in the hands of a collector, was corrosive.

As to the rifle, if you are happy with it, keep it. There in not really anything wrong with a Mitchell rifle, it is just that what the rifle is (A heavily reworked and polished Soviet Capture/rework) does not match what the advertising claims it is (Rare original unmolested collectable rifles.) They are good looking shooters, and if you want a good looking shooter, you are all set.
Old November 8, 2012, 02:03 AM   #8
Keepin_Jeepin

I think I will keep it. Big bang, iron sight high powered rifle. Whats not to love about shooting it? I am excited since I bought 30 rounds of the Yugo stuff. Taking it out sunday I think.

As emcon5 suggested,

http://www.southernohiogun.com/ammo/...pper-clip.html

That seems like a good deal but I am not sure I like that its corrosive. I don't know much about the corrosive stuff. I have a m91 mosin that shoots the corrosive stuff but its just kind of a beater. However I clean it every time I take it out shooting. Its inherently inaccurate though. Not a big fan of that gun
Old November 8, 2012, 09:43 AM   #9
emcon5

Repeating,

Quote:
Some people seem to think that "corrosive" primed ammo is caustic and will damage the gun, and this is not true. It is only corrosive because of salts in the priming compound, which will attract water, and therefore lead to rust if the salts are not removed. All this means, is if you shoot corrosive ammo, you just need to clean the gun shortly thereafter.

In reality, every round fired through a military surplus rifle up to the point they ended up in the hands of a collector, was corrosive.
All you need to do it remove the salts, and that is really easy, as salt is water soluble. I pour hot water down the barrel, but a wet patch or two will also work.

Windex also works fine, as it is mostly water.

Corrosive ammo is really a non issue.

The only thing to be aware of with the Yugo stuff tends to have hard primers. Depending on how strong your spring is, you may get an occasional "click" when you are expecting a "bang".

Never heard of any hang-fires with this stuff, but I have always just given it a few seconds to make sure, then recocked the rifle and hit it again. They have always gone off for me on the second hit.
Old November 8, 2012, 01:42 PM   #10
Keepin_Jeepin

Yeah my bad im not sure how I skipped over that. Thanks!
Old November 9, 2012, 09:36 AM   #11
Jimro

Corrosive isn't the issue with milsurp ammo, accuracy is. If you want stuff that goes bang, it usually works. I've used Turk 8x57 from the 40s with no problem. Accuracy was horrible to non-existent.

To test the accuracy of the mauser I was using, I loaded up some 185gr Corelokt bullets over 45 gr of IMR 4064 in Rem cases with a CCI 200 primer. A very mild load, and easily groups under 2 inches at 100 with that old rifle.

Jimro
Old November 11, 2012, 12:14 PM   #12
FairWarning

Since discovering the intrawebs, I stopped using corrosive ammo. There are numerous Euro bargains online, with the best overall being Sellior & Bellot at $18 for a 20 pack of 196 gr SPs at 2592 fps. That is full on hot .30-06 power for substantially less than the anemic American 170 gr loads and it is very high quality ammo.

For inexpensive but very accurate surplus, check out the M75 Yugo Sniper ammo. Still corrosive, but I would make an exception in that case if I didn't already have more 8mm ammo than I could probably ever shoot. 8mm is not the kind of round I shoot as if it were .22 LR (although I used to shoot 7.62x39 that way ).

Regarding Mitchells, they are generally excellent shooters and look great, although any resale will be hurt amongst the knowledgeable since they have been refurbished, which is painful since you have to buy them at a premium price from the source. And get ready for big doses of Haterade from internet and gun counter purists. If you don't care about those people (and why should you?), then enjoy.
Old November 12, 2012, 10:23 AM   #13
emcon5

Quote:
Since discovering the intrawebs, I stopped using corrosive ammo. There are numerous Euro bargains online, with the best overall being Sellior & Bellot at $18 for a 20 pack of 196 gr SPs at 2592 fps. That is full on hot .30-06 power for substantially less than the anemic American 170 gr loads and it is very high quality ammo.
The Privi stuff is about 400 fps slower then comparable Sellior & Bellot but about $4 cheaper per box. If you want ammo for punching paper, (and quality reloadable brass) it is excellent.

Quote:
Regarding Mitchells, they are generally excellent shooters and look great, although any resale will be hurt amongst the knowledgeable since they have been refurbished, which is painful since you have to buy them at a premium price from the source. And get ready for big doses of Haterade from internet and gun counter purists. If you don't care about those people (and why should you?), then enjoy.
The problem is not really with people that own Mitchells rifles, or the rifles themselves, but the advertising practices of the company. They are being sold as something they are not, and targeting people who do not know any better.

They are also heavily sanded, polished in ways the Germans never did, and according to some, scrubbed and restamped to make the numbers match (and using the incorrect stamp/typeface.)

From a purely collector standpoint, they are not worth much, but should be a nice shooter. And remarked or not, they are WW2 German rifles, and historical artifacts.
Old November 16, 2012, 02:40 AM   #14
Ignition Override

About as year ago, Mitchell's noticed how many people avoided their 'products' and began to advertise some rifles as being Yugo.

Whether, by implication this meant that the other rifles were all-German, or had original numbers, I have no idea.
Mitchell's 'allegedly' walked a very fine legal line when it avoided a lawsuit.

I've never seen actual WW2 rifles in gun shows which looked new. How Could they look new, even if they were Not captured on Eastern Front battlefields?
Old November 25, 2012, 02:26 PM   #15
tahoe2

Keepin Jeepin

Whatever stigma Mitchell's has about them, the rifles are shooters, and they look good too!
I have an M48A from them that I bought from a private party, it shoots as good as my 1941 duv German 98 and my CAI Yugo 24/47.
I have a friend who has a Mitchell M48 that shoots as good as his Samco M24/47. WE only shoot handloads (myself) or commercial,
no surplus, accuracy is on par where it should be 3" to 6" with iron sights @ 100 from the bench depending on rifle, shooter, and ammo, across the board.
I'll take a Mitchell's any day, your's looks great, I'd keep it !!