The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old September 3, 2010, 09:18 PM   #1
JiminTexas

I'm finally getting my license!

I got a call from W.V. this morning and was told that my C&R license is finally issued. Now I can go ahead with expanding my .38 S&W top break collection without paying that damned transfer tax every time. I had a heck of a time getting the license approved. It seems that the FBI had a record of my having been arrested in 1966 and ATF wanted to see proof of the disposition of the charges. I hadn't been arrested and therefore there were no charges and there could be no disposition of the non existant charges, but I had to prove that. In that it is mathematicly impossible to prove a negative hypothesis, that is prove that something didn't happen, I had a problem. The U.S. Marshal's Service that supposedly made the arrest doesn't keep records of arrests. I find that a little difficult to comprehend. The FBI says that the arrest was reported to them by the U.S. Marshals Service so it must have happened. What happened after the arrest was none of the FBI's concern. They didn't know or care what the disposition was. In that I was dealing with simpletons I decided to go the simple route and wrote to the Kansas City, MO Police Department, who had nothing to do with this, but the arrest supposedly happened in Kansas City, MO, and I asked for a copy of my background check. It came back as "NO RECORD FOUND". ATF decided that this was good enough for them and issued my license this morning. I should get it in the mail in about one to two weeks. I have discovered the secret of dealing with the government, you just have to be simpler than they are.
Old September 4, 2010, 08:20 AM   #2
LWC

Last month I received the call telling me that my C&R license was approved and that it should arrive in 7 to 10 days, I found my license in the mailbox the next afternoon. They must call people after it's been sent out.
Hope yours arrives as quickly as mine did.