The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 2, 2006, 11:20 AM   #1
jhgreasemonkey

American Gunsmithing Association?

I got an offer in the mail from these guys and wonder if its a rip off or the real deal. they claim with a $20 dollar membership you can get up to 30% off of AGI videos, hogue grips, and a few other companies. Plus a 6 month subscrition to the magazine. Can anyone verify this company? Thanks.
Old August 2, 2006, 01:07 PM   #2
cntryboy1289

I like it myself

I get it each month. It will contain a couple of inofrmative articles each month on take down of a specific gun, usually a tool or two with blueprints for it, an article on how to smith a particular problem with a gun, and an ask and answer section. Not to mention that you get the discount at Brownells, AGI, Numrich , and many otheres, you also can get gunsmithi8ng insurance if you need it through a company they use. Good shootin'
Old August 2, 2006, 02:11 PM   #3
jhgreasemonkey

Okay thanks. I decided to subscribe. And its only $20 bucks.
Old August 2, 2006, 03:23 PM   #4
cntryboy1289

I think you'll like it

Save them because you never know when you might need them. It's only like 25 pages most of the time, but it has holes punched so it fits right into a 3 ring binder.
Old August 3, 2006, 03:07 AM   #5
webbee

I find it quit informative. I was sceptical when pitched too, but if you have a need for this type of info it's a nice value at $20. Even at full price I continue it. But then I subscribe to computer magazines that cost as much. It's a nice savings at the mail order gun stores as others have said.
Old August 3, 2006, 07:08 PM   #6
Lazy D

They make great reference material. Lots of schematics.
Old August 19, 2006, 06:33 PM   #7
guncrank

I have been a member for years and it has not hurt me yet
Old August 19, 2006, 07:08 PM   #8
Unclenick
Staff

Ditto.

Nick
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old August 22, 2006, 10:51 PM   #9
4V50 Gary
Staff

It's a gunmag worth reading. I enjoy it too. You may want to check out some backissues.
Old August 26, 2006, 09:36 AM   #10
UniversalFrost

interested.

Do they have a website or 800 # to request a copy or subscription?

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old August 29, 2006, 12:00 AM   #11
Alakar

http://www.american-gunsmith.com/index.htm
Old August 29, 2006, 08:15 AM   #12
UniversalFrost

thanks for the link , I just subscribed (only cost 19).

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old August 29, 2006, 01:03 PM   #13
smokjunkee

Yeah, I like it also. It seems to have well-written & un-complicated text, especially for a real novice like myself. So I just sent in my renewal check for another year($34). It's worth it though.
Mark
Old July 19, 2011, 06:19 PM   #14
Desert Vet

American GunSmithing association(AGA) vs American GunSmithing Institute(AGI)

I've recently received one of the American GunSmithing Associations (AGA)letters as well, although I can't prove their not a legitimate organization, I can say they are not to be confused with American GunSmithing Institute (AGI) which is an outstanding and reputable organization. (AGA) sends you a an envelope requesting your CC information to join while not proving a phone#, E-Mail, or website. (AGI) has a large website and gives a great product with many discounts and free gifts for $19.99/yr for brass membership and even greater gifts, discounts, subscriptions for an additional $9.99/yr.
For their silver membership. For those asking how you may have gotten on their list, it's pretty simple. Most people on this site are all probably what? A: NRA members right! Now understand the NRA hates to admit it, but they are a lobbyist group meaning part of their funding comes from memberships/donations and the rest from solicitors. You know all that mail you get every year that you had to agree to receive but not be obligated to participate in. Now I'm not saying this was done intentionally by the NRA but these types of mailing lists have a way of finding their way into non-legitimate hands, see where I'm going with this. I am a card carrying NRA member because of what they do with their funding, not how they obtain their funds, it is up to you to discern whether an offer is legitimate or not, if asks for $ with no contact info in the trash it goes!

Hope this helps
Old July 23, 2011, 11:10 AM   #15
triggerman770

AGA

quote"Not to mention that you get the discount at Brownells, AGI, Numrich , and many otheres, you also can get gunsmithi8ng insurance if you need it through a company they use"
Brownells gives you a free catalog not a discount. Numerich stopped giving AGA discounts couple of years ago. But still has good info.
Articles by David Chiccione(spelling?) on the guns of the old west, and some of the more recent ones. R.K. Campbell is another gunsmith that contributes a lot.
www.georgiacarry.org
Old May 10, 2012, 06:07 PM   #16
skully

AGA

I hope to find out how the AGA is i just joined so we'll see.
Old May 10, 2012, 07:19 PM   #17
4V50 Gary
Staff

Good point about AGA and AGI. AGA publishes American Gunsmith magazine which I subscribe to. When some issues didn't arrive because of an address change, I called AGI by mistake. That's when I learned the difference. .

BTW, AGA got me the back issues that I missed.

AGI may have been started by my former instructor at Lassen College, Bob Dunlap. Their very first videos were by him. AGI used to advertise in AGA and they had a picture of Bob examining a handgun. The trouble was that when they printer punched out the holes for the magazine, they punched out where his eyes were! It took a while before the ad was reformatted such that Bob kept his eyes. I bet he made a stink about that but it was the ad designer's fault in not working with the printer. I don't fault Bob at all and he is very skilled.
Old February 3, 2015, 10:46 AM   #18
sarwiz

Been a member

for many years and have received a lot of good and valuable information from their mag. Well worth the 34$ a year.
Old February 3, 2015, 07:05 PM   #19
4V50 Gary
Staff

Sometime this year they're going to publish my article on the Henry AR-7 rifle and the feeding issues.

Anyway, one thing I like about the AR-7 is that you can make most broken or missing parts from steel stock. All you need is a drill, vise, file, a torch (to harden), kasenite and oil (to quench).
Old February 4, 2015, 12:02 PM   #20
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

Did they ever change that photo in the gunsmithing by troubleshooting guide, which showed a 31 Remington cut-away, I think it was, for something else? In other words, the photo description and the photo didn't match.