The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old December 28, 2011, 03:02 PM   #1
Jack_Bauer24

Trust Question

On the trust where is has Grantor & Trustee signatures do you sign your name in both places?
Old December 28, 2011, 03:21 PM   #2
rjrivero

You would be both the Grantor and a Trustee. If your trust has a line for both, you sign both lines. Some trusts will have Grantor/Trustee and you only sign that one line.

How are you drafting your trust? Doing it yourself or going through an Attorney?

Last edited by rjrivero; December 28, 2011 at 03:28 PM.
Old December 28, 2011, 11:51 PM   #3
theyallhurt

Trust

I'd suggest having a lawyer do this, seriously, if you haven't done so already if only for peace of mind. There's so many bends and twists involved in these things.
Old December 29, 2011, 07:11 AM   #4
Mrgunsngear

+1, at least for your first one. If you do it wrong, the BAFTE will probably still approve it. Then you'll build your SBR/silencer and be in posession of an illegal gun .

I read the case of this happening on ar15.com and that was enough for me to contact guntrustlawyer.com. I don't work for them or anything, but they were really helpful and answered every annoying question I asked them! (probably 20 on my first SBR!)

I've done several applications now and I've got the hang of it now so I don't pester them much any more but it's worth it IMO.
Old December 29, 2011, 07:32 AM   #5
rjrivero

Quote:
Originally Posted by theyallhurt
I'd suggest having a lawyer do this

Quote:
Originally Posted by plouffedaddy
+1, at least for your first one.
The reason I asked. It would probably behoove you to obtain the services of an attorney.

After a lot of digging around, I've never heard of ANYONE getting prosecuted for an invalid trust. However, there are significant legal fees that *might* have to be paid to clean up the mess of an invalid trust. Much easier to spend the money up front on an attorney well versed on NFA issues.

re: plouffedaddy: Getting a trust is a one time deal. Once you have it it's going to be the same one reguardless of how many NFA items you put in it's posession. (I know plouffedaddy already knows this, I just wanted to make it more clear for someone just getting into the NFA Game.)
Old December 29, 2011, 09:41 AM   #6
Mrgunsngear

http://californianfatrust.com/batfe-...quicken-trust/

^^^That's the case I was referring to.

Yup, what I was saying is that you should pester your lawyer for your first one at least, until you get the hang of it...

Last edited by Mrgunsngear; December 29, 2011 at 02:17 PM.
Old December 30, 2011, 09:07 AM   #7
Jack_Bauer24

Is there someone that can look over the trust I have for free and make sure it is ok before I go any further with it?

Last edited by Jack_Bauer24; December 30, 2011 at 01:19 PM.
Old January 27, 2012, 10:32 AM   #8
Jack_Bauer24

If your in NC do you have to file a copy of your trust at your county courthouse?