The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 9, 2009, 12:27 AM   #1
AutoPistola

Wood blanks for non-traditional stocks

I'd like to build a pistol grip/thumbhole stock but I don't know where I can get wood blanks for it. It seems all commercial blanks are cut specifically for traditional sporter style stocks, and I can't get any chunks of wood that large locally. Any suggestions?

BTW, I want to build it for an SKS, something like those old Fajen thumbhole stocks only without such a swept-back grip angle.
Old January 9, 2009, 12:59 AM   #2
hoghunting

www.rifle-stocks.com

This is Richards Microfit Gunstocks. They sell stocks with the thumbhole, and I think they also sell blanks.
Old January 10, 2009, 03:33 AM   #3
T. O'Heir

How much money do you want to spend? Stock wood can run several hundred USD. The quality of the wood makes a huge difference too. A stock blank of 'low end' wood can cost you more than the rifle is worth.
The SKS was designed to be issued to illiterate conscripts who could be trained to use the carbine with minimal training. Making a custom stock out of a blank really will cost you more than the rifle is worth.
Old January 10, 2009, 09:54 AM   #4
sonic1

plain wood ...but cheap..say they ship in 60 days

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/RIFLE-...lank-rif-w.htm

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/RIFLE-...ank-rif-nl.htm
Old January 20, 2009, 07:23 PM   #5
saands

Cali'Co Hardwoods in Santa Rosa, CA ( www.calicohardwoods.com ) sells blanks. Call them up and ask about their "seconds" ... the "defects" are almost always tiny and in a place that is very open to exclusion by altering your design somewhat. I recommend against the standard grade ... for a very small amount of $$$ more, you can get a fancy blank and after all the work you will invest in the stock, you owe it to yourself to go fancy

Saands