The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 8, 2000, 05:30 PM   #1
Boneyard

A friend of mine was telling me that he saw a competition on The American Shooter TV show sunday that was using three guns, a rifle, pistol and shotgun...also he said that one guy was saying that he bores out the barrels on his shotguns and they shoot a better gropup...something to do with dissrupting the shot before it gets out the barrel...does anyone here know anything about this..it sounds very interesting.
Old August 8, 2000, 06:24 PM   #2
Ledbetter

Try this site to learn about forcing cone modifications.
http://www.vangcomp.com/

I would like to know more about this as well, and am considering having it done.

Regards,

Ledbetter

[This message has been edited by Ledbetter (edited August 08, 2000).]
Old August 8, 2000, 10:54 PM   #3
Gorthaur

I have the Vang modifications, but the guy in the show had the entire barrel bored. Seems a little bizarre, but I guess he must have patterned it. Of course, there were lots of gaming mods that probably wouldn't be beneficial IRL.

Another guy (or maybe it was the same one, I don't recall) had built a 17 shot magazine. It stuck way out farther than the barrel.
------------------
Support the US Olympic Shooting Team!
Protect your Right to Keep and Bear Arms!

[This message has been edited by Gorthaur (edited August 08, 2000).]
Old August 9, 2000, 12:20 AM   #4
Bennett Richards

I have had my 870 Marine VangComped. I can not say enough good things about what it has done to improve the pattern, lessen the recoil and muzzle flash..

Do it... You will NOT be sorry.

Ben
Old August 9, 2000, 08:08 AM   #5
Eric of IN

Gorthaur, I saw that, and wondered what he drove. I think he said the gun was over 6 feet long! Did he say how much it weighed in at? I'm thinking in his case, the rule of 96 was it oughta weigh 96 pounds.
Eric

------------------
Teach a kid to shoot.
It annoys the antis.
Old August 9, 2000, 08:59 AM   #6
Coronach

What was the guy's name? One of my shotgun/pistol instructors had a shotgun set up like that...ridiculous mag extension *AND* a speedfeed stock, red-dot scope...the whole 9 yards. He admitted that it was kinda silly; he referred to it as 'his toy' or somesuch.

This guy was a good-ole-boy's good-ole-boy. Nice as h***, a very good instructor, and he was walking death with either a pistol, shotgun or rifle. Put a gun in his hand and he got this kid-in-a-candy-shop look on his face that made everyone near him kinda nervous.

------------------
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old August 9, 2000, 01:29 PM   #7
Gorthaur

I'm gonna hafta remember to tape American Shooter each week. It's by far the best half hour on TV.

------------------
Support the US Olympic Shooting Team!
Protect your Right to Keep and Bear Arms!
Old August 10, 2000, 06:51 AM   #8
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Saw a shotgun like that at a match some years back. Remington 1100, 28'bbl, with a full length extended mag tube,peep sight, and a trick speed loader that worked some of the time.Handled and swung it a few times, someone shooting that would have forearms like Popeye PDQ!!

AS I saw it,this was a squad weapon for those folks w/o a BAR or M-60....