The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 25, 2011, 09:57 AM   #1
MSD Mike

38 Special HBWC - Roll versus Taper Crimp

I have always used a roll crimp with my 38 HBWC loads and had perfect success. Is there any advantage to a taper crimp on this load or should i just leave well enough alone.

Thanks
Mike
Old May 25, 2011, 10:18 AM   #2
PA-Joe

Taper crimps are used on semi-pistols where the case haedsapces on the rim of the case. 38s headspace on the rim.
Old May 25, 2011, 10:20 AM   #3
WIL TERRY

THIS depends entirely on the WC bullet you're using. With HBWC I would never use a roll crimp. With DEWC bullets I would use a roll crimp as this bullet has a crimp groove, [ actually two, one on each end..] If what you're are doing is working for you WHY are you rocking the boat ???
Old May 25, 2011, 11:16 AM   #4
MSD Mike

Thanks PA, I understand why semi autos are taper crimped for headspace reasons. In a revolver you are able to use either method because it does headspace off the rim. I know a roll crimp is almost always preferred, particularly when you have a crimp groove.

Wil, I am talking about the HBWC. I don’t have a great reason for trying something different other than I like to tinker. My roll crimp loads have been fine from an accuracy standpoint, but I am just wondering if there might still be an improvement by using a taper crimp. I have the taper crimp die so I will give it a shot. I was just wondering what others experiences were with the different style crimps on the HBWC loads.

I am talking about the old standard Speer hollow base wad cutter load with 2.8 grains of Bullseye.

Thanks
Mike
Old May 25, 2011, 11:24 AM   #5
zxcvbob

It shouldn't make any difference. But...

I experimented with using a taper crimp with .38 Specials using plated bullets (no cannelure and no crimp groove) and the taper crimps looked a lot better -- but the roll crimps were more accurate. I did not expect that and I can't explain it.

Try it and see; it might work different for you.
Old May 25, 2011, 12:34 PM   #6
Eagle0711

I did buy a TC die to save the wear on brass, but it's not necessary. Both work fine.
Old May 25, 2011, 01:19 PM   #7
Jim Watson

I shot a lot of Speer HBWCs at one time.
They have a little reduced diameter band at the front end (Hard to say "nose" for a cylindrical bullet.) that I roll crimped into. That made them easier to speed load in a revolver for PPC and they fed better in my Model 52 auto than if taper crimped. Accuracy was excellent.
Old May 25, 2011, 02:15 PM   #8
MSD Mike

Thanks Jim, I have always loaded similar to you with good results. Ha, I guess I was just hoping someone would say going to a taper crimp would make it more of a laser beam.

Mike
Old May 25, 2011, 03:59 PM   #9
FrankenMauser

I use a taper crimp with HBWCs in .32 S&W Long, .32 H&R, and .327 Federal.

....But I can't give you a good reason for changing what you're doing. I always have a Redding .32 S&W L profile crimp die in my turret press, so that's what everything gets. I don't have issues with the bullets jumping crimp in any of the loads, and should, theoretically, get longer brass life (since the brass isn't getting worked as much).

I did try roll crimping, when I first started loading for the .32 S&W L and .327, but my RCBS roll crimp die didn't play nicely with the crimp groove in the bullets I had. Once I found I was having absolutely no issues with crimp-jumping with the taper crimp, the RCBS die was retired.

As Jim pointed out, most HBWCs are tapered, or have a reduced diameter at the nose. The Hornady HBWCs I'm loading, taper from .315"/.316" to .3125"/.313" (base to nose). The base gets reduced to .314" during seating (in my brass). A follow-up with the profile crimp die gives me full contact between the bullet and case. Some informal testing (inertial puller) indicated that the taper crimped 90 gr HBWCs have more neck tension than a 90 gr LFP that is roll crimped.