The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 21, 2011, 07:16 PM   #1
Stargazer

New style Lee Auto Prime Tool

I just used my "new" style Lee priming tool on some .357 cases. I had every 3rd or 4th primer flip sideways on me as it was transitioning itself from the load ramp to the area staged to be picked up next. I used two different brands of primers and both had the same issue. maybe I wasn't holding it at the right angle or something. No more blindlessly priming cases while watch TV anymore like I could do with the old style Lee loader. Large primers do not seem to have this issue at all with mine. Anyone else notice this?

M70 Web Page
Old May 21, 2011, 07:39 PM   #2
bossman

Same here, just have to listen to the tv and glance up if something interesting is happening. I still don't trust it completely but it is getting better. It still better than the press but it keeps my mind on the primers making sure they fall in place correctly.

When the going gets tough, I just open another beer.
Old May 21, 2011, 08:42 PM   #3
Romeo 33 Delta

I will tell you that I did slightly enlarge the opening on the cover in the area to the left of the primer elevating pin, just a little bit with a sharp pocket knife . The biggest problem and easiest solution is the angle at which you are holding the tool. I hold it tilted away from me maybe 45 degrees. This is more than enough to keep the primers moving. I have timed my priming and can do 50 cases in just a hair over 4 minutes without busting my britches and now rarely have any problems with "mis-presented" primers.

Another problem I solved is the use of an improperly sized (for the specific case) shell holder. Lee's generally work fine ... but there are some calibers which their dimensions are just too generous and I need something custom. For example .25-20 SS required my taking a regular shellholder (RCBS, I think) for .25-20 SS and turning off the stud and chamfering the underside of the hole. Now my cases don't have to be forceably held in position while being primed. I found this too with some of my 6.5 and 7.35 Carcano (reformed 6.5 X 54 M-S Norma Brass). Reworked a reglar shellholder for them and away we go. I've done this over the years with a number of calibers and it has made a big difference.

Finally, I have a 3/8" or so hole in the top of my reloading bench which is no longer being used for whatever its original intended purpose was, but it's PERFECT for holding the pointy-end of the Lee tool so when you tilt it away from you, the tool can't move around on you ... just like it's locked in place.
Old May 22, 2011, 01:53 AM   #4
BDS-THR

I have used the new Lee XR hand priming tool (thousands of cases) with a slight tilt downward (towards shell holder) and never got flipped primers.

How are they being flipped? On mine, they ride up on the rod from the tray and slide down under the shell holder.

I hold mine like the old one, body on palm and thumb(s) on the lever.
Old May 22, 2011, 03:17 AM   #5
Stargazer

Quote:
How are they being flipped? On mine, they ride up on the rod from the tray and slide down under the shell holder.
They flip sideways on me and I do think it is the angle I am holding it as sometimes it works perfectly. It is almost like there is a little too much space that allows the primer to roll over on it's side after it slides off of the staging rod, if held at a certain angle. Large primers are a lot wider than tall so they do fine on mine and never try to flip sideways. I can see how much fun it was to engineer this new style.

M70 Web Page