The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 20, 2015, 06:15 PM   #1
Vet66

It's back from Ruger...SP101

In previous post I pointed out some serious deficiencies concerning this 4.2" 357 revolver. Needless to say I was not happy. I'm glad I took the advice of forum members who coaxed me to send it back, I was on the verge of giving up on Ruger and, stick to the S&W's. Well, I did send it back....not having high hopes on resolving the issues. I received it back today, new barrel, cylinder reworked and the rear sight repaired. As soon as it was unpacked I took off to my in house pistol range, not expecting a great improvement.....heck yes....
Ruger for sure paid attention to resolving the issues I had. They supplied a target at the factory after the repairs. 15 yards less than a 1" group from a
rest, I had no rest, freehand @ 10 yards....can you say YES!!! This baby shot an amazing nickel size group out of the box @10 yards. I'm a happy shooter.
Thank you Ruger for taking care of the problems, wish it had been sent new like this in the first place.
Old August 20, 2015, 06:43 PM   #2
puppyface

My new 3 inch sp 101 was consistently shooting about 4 inches left and 20 yards. I sent it in to Ruger, it was re-barreled and returned. Problem fixed.
Old August 20, 2015, 06:55 PM   #3
Slimjim9

Wait, you have a pistol range in your house?!? Kewl.
Old August 20, 2015, 07:00 PM   #4
smee78

I'm glad you got it back and they took care of you. I had to use the warranty once and when I got my 45 Vaquero back it was right on target.
Old August 20, 2015, 09:05 PM   #5
Vet66

Quote:
Slimjim9 Wait, you have a pistol range in your house?!? Kewl.
Sorry, worded that wrong, not in my house, on my property. Sure would be nice in the house though.
Old August 20, 2015, 09:26 PM   #6
WVMountaineer

I'm glad you got it fixed.

There was never a doubt from me that you would if you sent it back. People make mistakes and Ruger is composed of people. The difference in Ruger is they get it done right and, get it back to you in the same quarter as you sent it.

I'm not bashing your favorite or anyone else's. Just helping to put things into perspective. Because a flaw gets through any line or set of checks from time to time. Especially at the volume Ruger produces. God Bless
Old August 20, 2015, 09:58 PM   #7
Slimjim9

Quote:
Sorry, worded that wrong, not in my house, on my property. Sure would be nice in the house though.
Heh heh. I figured there was a logical explanation.
Glad you got it working right. A 3" SP is on my short list of desireables.
Old August 20, 2015, 10:09 PM   #8
Doc Holliday 1950

Ruger fixed my wife's LCR 357 mag
In less than one week . Couldn't 't open the darn
cylinder to load or reload. Happy Trails!
"Roy Rogers"!
Doc
Old August 20, 2015, 11:24 PM   #9
Radny97

Sent in my sp101 in 22lr because it couldn't hold a group and was spitting lead. After trying to fix it ruger decided they would have to replace the frame so they sent me a brand new gun . . . Free. New one holds a one inch group at 15 yards. Can't beat their customer service.
Old August 23, 2015, 09:25 PM   #10
wpsdlrg

I'm glad that Ruger resolved the issue(s) for you. I found the two SP-101's I used to have, to be big disappointments overall. First, the relative sizes of the chamber throats vs. the barrel groove diameter were all wrong. Then, the forcing cones were terrible....and the guns wouldn't shoot cast bullets without leading, no matter what. Finally, both of them stubbornly shot left (4 - 6" at 10 yards), no matter the loads or shooting technique.

As both my SP-101's were old, one from 1989 and the other from 1994, I never considered sending them back to Ruger (I assumed that they wouldn't do anything for guns that old without wanting an arm and a leg for the work). In the end I got rid of both. A real shame....and very disappointing....because I really liked the SP-101 design. I so much wanted those to work out.
Old August 24, 2015, 10:28 AM   #11
bedbugbilly

+1 to Ruger for their good service. Glad they got it fixed for you. Sounds like you are really going to enjoy it! Have fun!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old August 29, 2015, 12:05 PM   #12
superspirit

Glad you got it fixed!

I'm just wondering why there is a S&W salesperson stating the same thing in every SP101 thread?
Old August 29, 2015, 11:24 PM   #13
WVMountaineer

If you'd had sent those pistols back with the POI being different than the POA, they'd fixed them or replaced them. That is the difference in Ruger versus anyone else. God Bless
Old September 2, 2015, 12:29 AM   #14
DannyB1954

I usually carry my Sp101. I use 38 +p The changes that i made were grips and a weaker trigger spring. I have not had any FTF, so i say it is a worthwhile mod.