The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 24, 2011, 08:22 AM   #1
duelist1954

Videos - Reloading shotshells without using a press

I've put together a three part video series on reloading shotshells without using a reloading press.

The first video shows what I call the "Nail & Dowel Method" which uses simple items that are probably already in your home to reload shells:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZ4IBv0Bg9U

The second video covers loading shells using a Lee Loader kit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBRX6i8Rp6o

The final video shows how to load shotshells using antique reloading tools

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhT2l6808v4
Old May 24, 2011, 10:08 AM   #2
Civil War Life

Great series of videos. As it happens I have started reloading some 16 gauge shotgun shells for my early 1900s double. Your videos pretty much validated what I was doing. I am using 1 oz of shot and 62 grains of FFG black powder. Seems to be working pretty well. Since I don't have an antique roll crimper and have been having a hard time finding one in 16 gauge I purchased a Ballistic Products roll crimper. Mounted in my drill press it does a nice job. I do have a Lee loader and never realized I could do a star crimp with it. I'll give it a try.

I have a couple boxes of brass shells but have been reluctant to load them. I am worried about relying on glue to hold the shot in upon recoil. Don't want to have the unfired shot rolling out the barrel after the first barrel is fired.

I am very interested in finding out more about the Cowboy action shooting but have had little success in contacting anyone who could help me get started. I live in Virginia and I have found web sites with event schedules but no one has answered my emails. Could you contact me privately so I can ask you some questions about events etc? my email is [email protected]

Thanks for the great videos.
Terry
Old May 24, 2011, 12:20 PM   #3
duelist1954

Terry, I sent you an email.

Personally I've never had a problem with a glued card coming off...doesn't mean it won't happen some day, but it hasn't happened yet.

If you haven't found a 16 GA roll crimper by next march, get up the the MD antique Arms show next March. I guarantee you'll find someone selling one there.
Old May 24, 2011, 04:28 PM   #4
troy_mclure

why not get a lee loader in 16 gauge?

or 12ga for that matter. they are like .$20
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old May 25, 2011, 12:12 PM   #5
Civil War Life

Quote:
If you haven't found a 16 GA roll crimper by next march, get up the the MD antique Arms show next March. I guarantee you'll find someone selling one there.
I was at the last Baltimore show and didn't find one. I'll admit I wasn't looking so probably missed it. I'll keep my eyes open next time. I've been having pretty good success loading 16 gauge black powder shells with a combination of Lee Loader and a roll crimper I got from Ballistic Products. Kind of expensive, but well made and works fine. I plan to try loading some brass cases using the glued in shot card method shown in the video and see how it works. Again thanks for the fine videos. They were very helpful.

Terry
Old May 25, 2011, 01:47 PM   #6
Jkindy

I found these last night. Nice Videos.
I especially like the first one. Never thought of it being so easy to reload shotshells.

Thanks for sharing those with us.
Old May 26, 2011, 04:56 AM   #7
Uncle Buck

Tag
Thanks.
(I want to watch these later)
Old May 26, 2011, 11:44 PM   #8
reloader28

VERY COOL
I get bored with the "normal" way. I'm going to try this just to mix it up a little.

Tags
shotshell