The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 7, 2019, 07:00 PM   #1
HighValleyRanch

Unique Glock 21 Chop-along

I'm building my .45 super woods pistol. I found a StormLake fully supported barrel for the glock 21c. Since I live in a ten round limit state, the longer grip of the 21 has no advantages for me, and I have medium hands, so this was going to be another glock 21 to 30 chop job like I did on my previous glock 20.

I did research on the internet and found that the 21 to 30 is not quite as common as the smaller frame chops. But I did manage to find a few to gander at. So I bought a ten round glock 30 version on fleabay to use.

As you might know, the glock 30 is cut for the 9 round flush magazine and the 10 round mag is longer and has a baseplate that comes UP around the mag body as a sleeve fill. All the chops that I found were cut to the size of a glock 30 frame.

When I disassembled the magazine to fit to the cuts, I realized that I could use the full length of the magazine for the cut length rather than cut short to the 9 round magazine and fill with the base plate. This would give me an actual grip the length of a glock 19. A perfect solution as the glock 30 chop is kinda short and unbalanced. So I found a glock 20 base plate in a spare parts box and made the "longer" glock 30 flush magazine as shown is the photo. I could now use this as the model for my cut length. I could easily live with only 10 round magazines in exchange for a lglock 19 grip length.

The only problem was going to be that hump on the rear of the magazine that the magwell was going to have to be relieved for the mag to fit flush.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC06288.JPG (232.3 KB, 480 views)
Old November 7, 2019, 07:09 PM   #2
HighValleyRanch

I wanted the backstrap to come down around the base, so the bottom would be flush with the mag in, so had to cut vertical and then across for the mag to fit. The first cut is the hardest, because once done, you can not go back to OEM. I mark with painters tape, set it up so the frame is 90 degrees to the blade and cut by eye to the line. The first cut was to the longest height including the mag baseplate as seen in the first photo.

Then I cut to the top of the baseplate about 3/16".

On this second photo I am grinding the back wall of the magwell down to accomodate the humb at the bottom of the mag body. Here I am grinding with a 3/4" sanding drum on a mandrel I designed. I wanted to see how the mag was going to fit flush into the grip frame.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC06275.JPG (234.1 KB, 430 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06276.JPG (235.5 KB, 440 views)
Old November 7, 2019, 07:14 PM   #3
HighValleyRanch

So then basically it was recut and fit, until the ten round magazine clicked into place. I won't bore you with the details. But here is the frame cut perfectly to fit with the magazine locked into place. Actually, it worked out better than I expected, because the glock emblem is still intact and I would not have to do much else like sanding and stippling to keep it looking original.
On the right side it does cut into the "made in austria emblem at the bottom slightly, but i can live with it. You will notice that this mod takes out the hump and that I ground down the finger grooves on the front strap previous to the chop.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC06282.JPG (214.8 KB, 450 views)

Last edited by HighValleyRanch; November 7, 2019 at 09:39 PM.
Old November 7, 2019, 07:18 PM   #4
HighValleyRanch

Then I reassembled the glock, racked one into the chamber and filled the ten round magazine and took it down to my pasture to function test. Worked perfectly!
Not too tight, but not too loose. Nice even gap and I can get a full grip on this medium chop. Still have to do some light sanding on the edges but I think it came out pretty nice. The whole project took less than a couple of hours.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC06285.JPG (229.4 KB, 691 views)
Old November 7, 2019, 07:42 PM   #5
jmr40

The full capacity magazines are legal here, but I've been VERY tempted to do the same to my G21 and G17. I just prefer the shorter G19 grip size and can always still use full length and capacity magazines. But the shorter grip along with the longer barrel and slide is appealing.

It looks good.

Winston Churchill
Old November 7, 2019, 07:51 PM   #6
HighValleyRanch

Here is a size comparison between my glock 19 on the left and the modified glock 21C on the right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC06290.JPG (201.3 KB, 418 views)
Old November 7, 2019, 09:28 PM   #7
wild cat mccane

I too like the "covert" sized full slides with a compact grip.

Nice job.
Old November 8, 2019, 01:09 AM   #8
Dan-O

I cringed at the beginning, but actually looks pretty bad ass!!
Old November 8, 2019, 04:53 AM   #9
Spats McGee
Staff

I get nervous every time I see a thread involving a Dremel, but you did a fine job!
Old November 8, 2019, 07:16 PM   #10
smee78

I like it, looks good.
Old November 15, 2019, 05:28 PM   #11
Pistoler0

Check mine out:

Glock 21 3rd generation:

and:

Its also modified to fire 45 Super / .450 SMC. I have fed it 1000s or regular 230 gr 45 ACP and Double Tap 450 SMC 230 grainers over the years without an issue. KKM barrel, glockstore heavy tungsten rod and 22lbs recoil spring, and double spring in the 13 round mag were required for reliable functioning with both rounds.

Work done by my friend Sean at Sovereign Armory in Aurora, Colorado:

https://www.sovereignarmory.com/
Old November 15, 2019, 05:36 PM   #12
JERRYS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighValleyRanch View Post
I'm building my .45 super woods pistol. I found a StormLake fully supported barrel for the glock 21c. Since I live in a ten round limit state,
Virginia?