The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

View Poll Results: Interested in FCD with removable sizers for lead bullets?
Yes 10 62.50%
No 6 37.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 14, 2011, 01:37 AM   #1
BDS-THR

Interested in FCD with removable sizers for lead bullets?

This is regarding Lee Factory Crimp Die (FCD) use with straight walled semi-auto cases and oversized lead bullets (larger than typical jacketed diameters).

My contention has been that the FCD was originally meant to be used with jacketed diameter bullets but may post-size larger diameter lead bullets decreasing the neck tension leading to bullet set back, decreased bullet-to-barrel fit and aggravate leading of the barrel. I decided to write John Lee of Lee Precision with a suggestion that Lee consider offering FCDs with different sizer rings or one with removable sizer rings (member Uniquedot suggested one similar to one used in Lee Speed Dies).

Well, John Lee wrote back indicating he may seriously consider such a product if there was enough interest/demand.

So, what say you?

Would you be interested in a FCD to use with your larger diameter lead bullets that won't post-size and have the option of taper crimping in a separate step by the way of removable sizers?

Quote:
Subject: Re: Factory Crimp Die for lead semi-auto calibers
To: "XXX" <[email protected]>
Date: Thursday, October 13, 2011, 11:26 AM

Thanks for the suggestion of a Factory Crimp die with an interchangeable sizing ring. I will think about your suggestion but have serious reservations about producing it and calling it a Factory Crimp die. If we make the sizing ring any larger it will not produce ammunition that will work in any firearm.

I guess we could advertise it as "Produces ammunition that may work in some firearms"

Seriously, the sizer ring is .001 to .002 smaller than a SAAMI maximum cartridge. This produces a finished cartridge that will not exceed Factory Maximum, a dimension necessary to fit in any standard chamber gun. Many users can use larger cast bullets that swell the case in excess of factory maximum and will work perfectly in one or more of their guns. That same crowd frequently will use a taper crimp die to assure "reliable feeding". The taper crimp die nicely squeezes the brass in turn reducing the bullet shank diameter. Had they used the correct diameter bullet they would not have needed a taper crimp die nor a Factory Crimp die.

For any given brass thickness there is a limit on how large your bullet can be and not swell the brass over the SAAMI limit. If you are using selected brass of uniform wall thickness one can successfully use larger cast bullets with out fear of producing ammo that will not chamber properly in any gun. If you are using mixed range brass stick with the bullet diameter that the cartridge was originally designed for and you won't need a taper crimp die nor a Factory Crimp die.

Again thank you for the suggestion for a "screw adjustable crimping die" basically our Factory crimp die with out the sizing ring, it would be a fraction of the cost of Factory Crimp die without the ground and polished carbide ring. Bounce the idea off your friends on the forums and if there is much interest I will give it serious consideration.

John Lee, President
Here's FCD and Speed Die with screw on sizer for comparison:

Old October 14, 2011, 08:04 AM   #2
steve4102

My LFCD for 45 ACP works well with both lead and jacketed. When loading MB 200gr LSWC I cannot feel the carbide ring make contact with the brass. Only a very slight tick when the rings passes over the flare.

My 10MM was a different story. I felt a lot of contact with the both jacketed and lead bullets, a lot. I contacted Lee and had a 10MM FCD opened up .001, I think factory was .421 and I had it opened to .422. Works great now with both lead and jacketed.

I always wondered why Lee didn't offer the FCD in two different sizes, one for jacketed and one .001 larger for lead?
Old October 14, 2011, 03:47 PM   #3
chris in va

Quote:
Had they used the correct diameter bullet they would not have needed a taper crimp die nor a Factory Crimp die.
See, that's the problem. I *must* load a 358 diameter bullet for my CZ 75, otherwise I get keyholing with 355's. In turn I need to use a FCD to iron out any odd bulges they may produce.
Old October 14, 2011, 03:59 PM   #4
spacecoast

Is this what you're looking for, a dedicated crimp die without the resizer?

http://www.natchezss.com/Category.cf...aper Crimp Die
Old October 14, 2011, 04:19 PM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

I think Lee confused the request at the end of his letter, and BDS-THR wants the sizing ring, but would like a set available. Perhaps the standard size, the next 0.001" oversize, and one 0.002" oversize; like buying neck bushings for the rifle sizing dies that use them.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle