The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 1, 2011, 05:39 PM   #1
handgunfan101

ODD ISSUE WITH My ATI FX45 TITAN 3.18BBL SS

I purchased an ATI Titan FX45 ss 3.18 BBL about 5 months ago. When i first got it it had a few FTF issues. I sent it in and it was fine after that. I shot maybe 100 rounds through it and it sat in its case until today.

I took it to the range and it had another FTF but the slide locked all the way back 3-4 times. I took it apart at the range and noticed nothing was broken. I ran another 50 rounds through it and again the slide locked on round 50.

Anyone know whats going on? i looked at some forums and they said there is a spot by the ejector or loader (i have no idea what a loader is referring to i may have misread) that needs to be finished a bit to allow some spacing because the rounds are being pinched????

any info would be great.
Old August 1, 2011, 08:09 PM   #2
DnPRK

The slide stop has a projection that is pushed up by the magazine's follower to lock the slide back after the last round. If that projection is slightly too long, it will drag against the bullets in the magazine and cause the slide to lock back prematurely.
Old August 1, 2011, 08:27 PM   #3
handgunfan101

is there a way to correct this issue without having to send it in and wait for a month or longer to get it back
Old August 14, 2011, 03:35 AM   #4
tomwalshco

Yes there is. Sometimes a round will get dragged forward in the magazine by the friction of the round above it being pushed into the chamber,

With the slide locked open, locate the interior point of the slide stop that makes contact with the magazine follower and pushes it up to lock the slide when empty.

Put a round in the magazine and push it forward slightly. With a good light source, watch as you slowly insert the magazine to see what kind of clearance there is (or isn't) between the bullet and this point. That will give you an idea of how much material you will need to sand off of this point.

Go slow, a little at a time. The worse that could happen would be taking too much off and an empty magazine will not lock it open. Then you buy another one from Brownells and start over.

Since it is happening so sporadically, I'd say a few .001" off that point should do the trick. Good luck.
Old August 16, 2011, 12:41 PM   #5
Robk

1911s seem to be picky with ammo and magazines. Many 1911 users find their issue to be one of the two. The ATI is a up scale version of a stock GI( but still a entry level 1911), but not sure if any work has been done to enhance feeding of anything other than 230 grain FMJs (1911 were not made to fire hollow point ammo from the factory). You don't mention ammo type, if you are using FMJs than I would go for the next weak spot, the magazine. Is it just one magazine giving you problems or all of them. Mark the magazine that gives you problems to sort this out. If it still happens, borrow a high end magazine and give it a try (or just any other magazine from another make 1911). Better magazines would be Wilson Combat 47Ds (at least from what I have read), Chip McCormicks (personally use these), and Colt factory issue. Most people have little problems with theses. Good luck, hope this helps. I do not claim to be any expert, but modification should be your last resort in my opinion. The things I mention are easy enough to determine.