The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 23, 2007, 12:20 AM   #1
Sgt.Fathead

I want a 10g Single Shot

Anyone making a breakdown 10g single shot these days? I need to mow down some small trees in my yard......wait!......sorry, I digress. I'd just like to own a 10gauge to go with the bevy of 12, 16, 20 and 410 in the shotgun safe.
Old October 23, 2007, 01:29 AM   #2
shotgunner427

H&R makes a 10ga single shot called the Pardner waterfowl.
comes in either wood or synthetic stock, matte or stainless
Old October 23, 2007, 02:14 AM   #3
rugerfreak

Problem is: Its going to beat the dickens out of you.
Old October 23, 2007, 06:49 AM   #4
boltgun71

I have a New England Firearms(owned by H&R) 10 gauge Pardner model and it is a great gun. Mine is the waterfowl model I believe with a camo paint job on its wood stock. Recoil is pretty stout but its power is unbelievable. Its a great turkey gun and with mine I have shot them from between 5yds out to 70yds with it. Every time I load it I feel like I'm loading a 40mm gernade launcher. Good luck in getting one, there not expensive, usually around $150 I beleive.
Old October 23, 2007, 07:12 AM   #5
TheShootist1894

H&R

They also can be had with a heavy barrel, talk about a shoulder cannon,
Old October 23, 2007, 07:53 AM   #6
roy reali

More Hype

Too bad eight gauge shotguns are not available anymore. Then we could make 150 yard shots on turkeys.

Why do some folks thing that a 10 gauge will shooot farther then a 28 gauge? Why is there is so much misinformation and myths regarding shotguns?
Old October 23, 2007, 09:04 AM   #7
boltgun71

I didn't mean to imply that a 10 gauge can shoot farther then a 28 gauge, but the fact that the 10 gauge on average fires 3 times as much shot as a 28 gauge, 2 1/4 oz as opposed to 3/4 oz, the 10 gauge has a much higher chance of hitting and killing its target at extended ranges. For example if we are talking about #6 shot then a 10 gauge loaded with 2 1/4 oz would have approx. 506 pellets. A 28 gauge with 3/4 oz would have 169 pellets. The 10 gauge as a much higher chance of putting lead on the target then a 28 gauge. I also do not encourage 70 yd shots on turkeys, I'm just saying I have done it and only once. It was a luck shot that dropped a hen in its tracks on a fall hunt when I was 15. I have also seen a frind of mine drop a tom turkey at 65 yds with a 12 gauge 3" mag. The turkey hung up on him and wouldn't come closer, so he chanced the shot and dropped it. I cant understand why I am simply praising a shotgun that has served me well and then its twisted into something else.
Old October 23, 2007, 06:26 PM   #8
roy reali

Ethics

It is unethical to shoot at any bird at seventy yards with birdshot from any gauge shotgun.

Let me put it some other ways. Lets say someone shoots at you with a 20 gauge shotgun using 6 shot. You are at such a distance that the pellets do not penetrate any of your clothing. Even the skin hits are barely noticable, no penetration, no damage. From the same distance another person fires six shot at you from a 10 gauge. You are not suddenly going to drop dead. In fact, the effects on you will be similar.

Lets say there is a duck flying by at one hundred and fifty yards distance. You throw an ounce of five shot or a kilo of five shot at it and the you'll get the same results. The duck contines on its merry way unharmed.

If you indeed have shot and killed turkeys with a shotgun at seventy yards, congratulations! You are apprently a better shot then most professional turkey guides. You are able to hit farther then shotshell makers recommend.

Still, it is unethical for any to be shooting birds at those distances with a shotgun. The chances of loosing a cripple to die a slow and agonizing death is too great.
Old October 24, 2007, 12:39 PM   #9
BigJimP

I don't know of a single shot 10ga.

If you're really set on having a 10ga ( and I don't recommend it ) but if you're really set on it, I'd look at the Browning gold or the BPS(pump).

If you just want to have one go ahead - but balistically, you can make a 12ga perform like a 10ga ( or a 20ga or 28ga for that matter ) by picking or reloading the right load. I have a bunch of guns in 12, 20, 28 and .410 ...but there are no 10ga's in there .......and there won't be anytime soon.
Old October 24, 2007, 08:36 PM   #10
Limeyfellow

10 gauges should be side by side to get the right effect. They weigh an awful lot and still kick like a mule.
Old October 25, 2007, 09:02 AM   #11
Old John

Deer Slugs!

My dear Brother has a Single Barrel, 10 ga., with rifle sights, that he uses for Deer. He says he hates to track the Critters. And, the 10 ga. will most times
knock them off their feet, at 50 to 60 yrds. Puts a really big hole, clean through them.

I'm not sure about that. I do know, it'll split a 12" firewood log clean in two.
It kicks bad, with those slugs. The chunk of lead looks about as big as a shot glass.
I don't need one, thanks. I don't hunt deer.
Old October 25, 2007, 01:08 PM   #12
Mavrik

I sold my 10ga single shot when I bought an Ithaca Mag-10 a couple of years ago. I can't help it I love that Auto .

A couple of other recent 10gauge threads

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...highlight=10ga

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...highlight=10ga

Mav
Old October 25, 2007, 08:38 PM   #13
Jseime

One of my hunting buddies has a single shot H&R/NEF 10 guage and I would love to have a semi-auto 10 but they are expensive and I am generally broke.

The extra payload that a 10 guage offers over a 12 makes a very big difference in the goose fields. Even though velocity is the same it makes a big difference to have the extra pellets.

If you dont believe me just come along tomorrow and see whose geese drop faster... mine hit with three ingh magnum 12 guage shells, or the ones my buddy hits with that big old howitzer.
Old October 25, 2007, 11:06 PM   #14
Sgt.Fathead

Just Because

I, as always, appreciate all the input received here. I do not especially want the 10 for deer or anything else other than, I just want one. I have fired the Browning BPS turkey gun in ten and was very much pleased with it. Yes, it kicks like a mule. Yes, those 10 gauge shells are more $$$ than the 12 gauge. But look at those lovely holes. Hear the mighty boom!

Since I have no practical use for it right now, I don't need to spend the extra dollars for the Browning. If I had the loot, I surely would. More pressing on the list right now is to get a scope for my Rem 700 .30-06, a sling for my wife's Ruger PC4, extra mags for it and her Ruger P94, maybe that 1911 on sale at Bud's for me.........the list is long. The 10, I'm going to get it. Not too soon though.

Thanks to all.
Old October 26, 2007, 09:00 AM   #15
Neanderthal

This is kinda off topic, but I recently installed a Limbsaver brand recoil pad on a hard kicking gun, and I could not believe the difference in felt recoil! I actually tipped the gun slightly sideways-a semi-auto- to make sure it had cycled correctly and everything was o.k., the difference in recoil was astounding! It was if I had fired a "dud" shell or something. I went from a hard kicking gun by anyone's standards to one sweet soft shooter. This pad is also designed to lessen muzzle jump. Anyone with a hard recoiling gun, rifle or shotgun, needs to try one of these! It is so dramatic of a difference that I went from wondering if I had made a mistake on this purchase to taking this shotgun with me nearly every time I leave town. After all, it is pheasant season here. Ringnecks beware! If I owned a 10 ga. it would be equipped with a Limbsaver. They make them in exact fit, grind to fit, and slip-on. Also mine was at my door 3 days after ordering, and I live 1500 miles from them. That's service! I do not have any ties to this company, if you are wondering, this product is just that good.
Old October 27, 2007, 12:20 PM   #16
roy reali

Re:Jseime

Maybe your buddy is a better shot then you. A friend of mine can out shoot me any day of the week. He uses a 28 gauge. I guess a 28 is better then a 12!
Old October 27, 2007, 03:02 PM   #17
KevininPa

New England Firearms and +1 on putting a Limbsaver on it. They're very light firearms whose kick can make some bodacious bruises. I put a Limbsaver on one of their twelves and don't believe the difference. Loved it enough to put one on my Spartan coach gun. And I, like you, want a ten " just because ".

Kevin in Pa
Old October 28, 2007, 10:25 PM   #18
Jseime

Quote:
Maybe your buddy is a better shot then you. A friend of mine can out shoot me any day of the week. He uses a 28 gauge. I guess a 28 is better then a 12!
Haha, no not noticeably. I still take down the geese with the 12 guage 3 inch shells but when they are hit with the 10 guage 3.5 inch shells they fold up and fall a lot faster and are less likely to land and start running around causing us to chase after them.
Old October 31, 2007, 02:13 AM   #19
quack fiend

I had an NEF 10 for turkeys once, it just wouldn't pattern as well as my 12's with any choke i tried, plus the kick was no fun and I like having a quick follow-up shot in case of a cripple. My 8+ lb. baikal 3.5" 12 auto with a turkey choke will throw the same load of pellets, 2 1/4 oz., with a much better pattern, and doesn't kick half as bad as that 10.
Old October 31, 2007, 04:13 AM   #20
b.thomas

Shot a number of double and single shot ten gauge magnums as a youngster, came to the conclusion if I couldn't do it with a 12 gauge three inch it probably wasn't worth the effort.
Old October 31, 2007, 11:50 PM   #21
bcarver

10 ga vs. 12 ga

I have seen many arguement that a 12 ga 3.5 inch is as good as a 10 ga.
Wrong.
With any given load (2 oz, 2.25 oz or 2.5oz) the gun with the larger bore will out shoot the gun with the smaller bore. And by this I mean a denser more consistent pattern.
Mossburg understands this and sells An "overbored" shotgun to gain the advantage. (Overbored is a gun that shoots a 12 ga shell down a 10 ga bore)
12 ga is about .724 while a 10 ga is .775.
The "ideal" load for any gauge is a "squared" load. A load as tall as it is wide.
(12 ga would be a load in the shell that is .725 tall while a 10 gauge will be .775 inches tall.)
Now weather you are shooting lead, steel or heavy shot in 4,5 or #6
you will have a higher pellet count in the larger shot column.
With the higher pellet count and a proper choke the end result will be more shots on the bird at whatever range.
More shots on the bird means a quicker cleaner kill.

What I think the 12 gauge fans intend to say is that for the extra kick, money and weight of the gun the advantage gained by a 10 gauge is not woth the money or pain.

But most turkey hunters may only shoot at 3 or 4 birds a year if they are lucky so if that is your passion and you can take the pain of recoil why not carry the hardest hitting 10 gauge you can find.
By the way if you look around you can find 10 gauge shells shooting 3 oz. of HEVI SHOT and no 12 gauge comes close to that.
And on the recoil issue... the 12 and 10 shooting the same weight load at the same velocity will produce the same recoil, only the 10 gauge guns are usually heavier and thend to absorb more recoil.