The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old March 30, 2016, 04:04 PM   #1
Gregory Gauvin

Help! Looking for a Sporter Stock for Intermidiate Length Action

Looking to replace a sporter stock for a M1924 Mauser, large ring, military barrel. Gun has been tuned and tricked out for competition, however, the original (vintage Walnut Stock) is not taking the recoil so well. The stock did not have cross bolts.

Looking to replace the stock with a Laminate or Synthetic or Hardwood stock. I was looking at Boyds. They have exactly what I want, but, not what I need. A drop in, free floated barrel channel for large ring 98 Mauser, 7 7/8"th center to center action screws, reinforced with cross bolts and action screws sleeved. They claim the stocks do not require glass bedding, but the owner may choose to do so if desired.

Problem is...I'm working with a M1924 rifle here...not a K98. All the dimensions of their stocks work perfectly except the floorplate. K98's are 8 11/16" and that's all they offer. I have an intermediate length action...like a M24/47. Floorplate is 8 1/4" in length. Any help? Rifle is a tack driver. (Less than .4 MOA) Would like to drop it in a free floated synthetic stock, remove the Lyman sights and drill and tape for scope. The rifle shot sub MOA before I started working on it. I now have the a crisp 3 1/4 LBS single stage trigger, and began working on the original stock but, figure, the time and effort involved in prepping and bedding and all that would be much easier just to buy a new stock. Preferably synthetic, as rifle is producing sub MOA groups with 1953 Turk Surplus...with handloads, I'm sure I can shrink it down. And a synthetic or laminate not susceptible as much as Walnut to weather, temperature, humidity...etc...would keep it as accurate as possible.
Old March 31, 2016, 12:04 AM   #2
emcon5

https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/Produ...inate-finished

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...prod73004.aspx
Old March 31, 2016, 09:45 AM   #3
taylorce1

There isn't a stock you can buy that won't require work to get your rifle to fit. There are just too many variations in the Mauser action to make a drop in fit stock for everyone of them. Not to mention the wide variety of barrels ranging from military to custom contours used on Mauser actions. If you already have a good fitting stock that can be repaired, add cross bolts, relieve the tang, and glass bed the stock you'll save money and time over trying to fit a new stock to your barreled action.
Old April 2, 2016, 08:19 PM   #4
Gregory Gauvin

Thanks. I'd have to agree. For a second I thought the Boyds would be a green light, but, barrel channel is for sporter barrel not stepped for military barrel, which I am running.
Old April 3, 2016, 12:17 PM   #5
emcon5

Go to Boyd's web site, in the search fields, for "Make" select "Yugoslavia", There are a couple options listed as "Factory Barrel Channel"
Old April 4, 2016, 09:16 PM   #6
Gregory Gauvin

Did so. Clicked on this one here that read "Factory barrel channel". However, at the bottom, it reads:

ATTENTION CUSTOMERS:This stock is designed to accept #1 Sporter Contour barrel. Due to the numerous variations of hardware used on these actions

Not sure if that's a typo...or...I will contact boyds.