The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 26, 2007, 10:46 PM   #1
Daniel BOON

tricking out the 1100 for 3 gun.

I want to use a Rem 1100 for the 3 gun shoot; I'm sure I can compete with the 1100, but what kind of tricks can I do to it to give me a slight edge?
does anyone out there in shotgun land know of a forum dedicated to 3 gun shoots? I looked at the official web site for 3 gun, but they didn't go into detail on the shot gun end of it. any input is appreciated. DB
Old October 27, 2007, 08:01 AM   #2
lmccrock

But of course: Brian Enos Forums.

Scroll down to 3-Gun Forums. Browse away.

Generally, an 1100 works with the addition of a mag extension. I have a Choate, which gives me 9+1. USPSA requires no more than 8 in the mag at start for my division, other matches have other rules.

Lee
Old October 27, 2007, 09:30 AM   #3
Daniel BOON

thank you

and welcome to our forum. DB
Old October 29, 2007, 09:27 PM   #4
ocharry

hey Daniel,, i replaced the shell lifter in my 1100 with one for remingtons competition master ,,, the release button is twice as long,, makes hitting the reload hole a lot easier,,, can't remember the part no. but i think i still have it at home

ocharry
Old October 29, 2007, 11:44 PM   #5
Daniel BOON

that sounds interesting

if you can come up with the #, I would appreciate it.
I bought an 1100 saturday and ran a full bx of low brass thru it with no jams; this gun has potential; won't be a safe jack rabbit on the desert. thanks again. DB
Old October 30, 2007, 11:55 AM   #6
ocharry

hi Daniel,,, i went to my parts drawer and i found the bag that the carrier assembly came in so here you go

remingtons tel. no. 1-800-243-9700
carrier assembly part # 300902 IIRC it was around $30

on my 1100 i have this shell lifter(carrier),, a 4 shot choate mag extension,, a oversize choate bolt handle,,it to is way better than the original,,well maybe not better but lots easier to get the job done with,,,,i also took the wood off and put on a choate stock and forearm(i don't care for the pistol grip on my shot guns),,,it is a regular looking (like the remington stuff) black stock set,,, and a smooth bore remington slug barrel with rifle sights,,, the mag extension comes to the end of this barrel

the choate mag extension comes with a mag clamp,,,,use it,,, mine is clamped right behind the light bracket and i use it for my 3 point sling,,,i also made a light bracket the doubles as a mag extension clamp,,, the light goes on and off the clamp easily if i don't want it on the gun for daytime work,,the way it is set up ,, if it's dark and you are in the light you are in trouble

this set up is a little nose heavy when fully loaded ,,, but you get used to it and i don't pay much attention to it any more,,, i have always liked heavy barreled rifles,, so it feels kinda natural to me,,, just my .02

i have an 870 set up about the same way(it has a 3 shot extension),,, i don't use it much anymore

hope this helped

ocharry
Old October 30, 2007, 02:39 PM   #7
FirstFreedom

It helps to have a little more capacity than standard, so if you can get a tube extension that gives you 6, 7, or 8 plus the chamber, instead of 3 or 4, you can get off more shots before reloading, after each reload.

An oversized charging handle can help to quickly charge if that is part of the stage.

A shorter bbl, in the 18-22" range, makes for a quicker, handier weapon.

Good sights help. Preferably a highly visible front, like a fiber optic, and rear sight is optional, but if you do go with a rear sight, a lot of guys like the ghost rings for quick acquisition. You have to of course match front sight height to rear sight height to make your shotgun hit. If you don't mind competing in the open class, a good ESD (dot sight) is very useful IMO.

Beyond that and using the right load that is low recoil but just enough to make the gun cycle reliably, it's just practice/skill.

Some guys will add shell carriers, but this isn't necessary if you just find a way to load from your pocket or a pouch on your body and practice that way. But you can get either sidesaddle carriers or buttstock carriers for a few extra rounds at the ready. Don't make your shotgun TOO heavy, though, or it won't feel lively/responsive, and your quickness can suffer a bit.