The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 5, 2004, 10:19 AM   #1
SquirrelMan

Beretta AL391 Urika Usability

Hey guys, I am new to the auto loader scene and have a few questions about this shotgun in 20 gauge. I have a chance to buy an excellent used one for $500 and would like some input. I plan on taking it rabbit and squirrel hunting as well as sporting clays, but....

1) How is 20 gauge for hunting? I'm sure it has enough power for rabbit/squirrel/quail, but if I plan do go duck hunting, will it do the job? How about turkey?

2) Just for curiosity sake, can a slug be run through this gun? Is that too much backpressure for an autoloader to handle? I have a slug gun, but i was just wondering.

Thanks for all the input.
SM
Old July 5, 2004, 11:54 AM   #2
HSMITH

If it really is excellent and you don't buy it at 500 bucks you're CRAZY!!!!!!! PM me if you don't want it and I'll buy it.

Great little shotgun, plenty of power for everything you can do with a shotgun so long as steel shot is not required. For waterfowl you will need to look to hevishot or tungsten or some other exotic, the 20 just doesn't have the capacity to shoot steel shot big enough to do the job on ducks and still have any pattern density. Everything else it will do just fine so long as you point it where it needs to be. Slugs are no problem. Turkeys are no problem.

I shoot a Browning Gold 20 gauge for nearly all my pheasant hunting, my bird per shell rate is nearly 1 to 1 over the last 5 years with it too. I shoot skeet and some trap with it, I shoot sporting as well as I do with a 12 gauge. I see no handicap whatsoever using a 20 guage when lead shot can be used. It does everything a 12 does, just with a little bit smaller pattern given the same density.
Old July 5, 2004, 09:58 PM   #3
SquirrelMan

Thanks a lot HSMITH! I bought it and am looking at it right now. It is a beauty. It has a small dent in the wood under the grip, and a few on the top (I'm sure from the way the racks are at this gun shop). The dents are so insignificant that you have to hold it up to the light just right to see it.
It Has been inspected by Beretta and is a grade 1 used firearm. It came with all the accessories and papers, but not the cardboard box.
I can't wait to take it out!

-SM
Old July 7, 2004, 10:24 PM   #4
SquirrelMan

This shotgun is awesome! I took it out for the first time today after work. I found a local gun club and shot two rounds of trap.
This was my first time that I shot with people other than just the buddies.
I got 16 on the first round and 18 on the second round. I think I was just getting the rhythm. I might just take it out tomorrow as well.

I do have a question though, what choke should I be using? I used modified and it seemed to be OK, but is there any rule of thumb I should be aware of?

I LOVE THIS SHOTGUN! It is a little more refined than the old Winchester '97.

-SM
Old July 8, 2004, 12:02 AM   #5
Samuel2001

Congrats on purchasing one of, if not the best autoloader in the market!!

SWEET!!
Old July 8, 2004, 02:32 PM   #6
9mmMike

Congrats on a fine SG. We looked at these (not for that price though!) for Mrs. 9mmMike before she found the 1100 Special Field (20 ga. LT) that she loves.

From what I've read, mod is fine for Trap but you should really pattern to see what's what. A more open choke for Sporting Clays or Skeet seems to be the norm.

Mike
IF YOU LIVE IN PA AND DID NOT VOTE, YOU DESERVE TO LOSE YOUR GUNS!
Old July 8, 2004, 09:43 PM   #7
SquirrelMan

Thanks guys. I went out again today, and is hot a 17 and a 19. I was pretty happy with that considering my limited experience. I think I will pattern the chokes next week and then try sporting clays. Sporting Clays looks very challenging.
Any more input is always appreciated.
SG
Old July 8, 2004, 09:48 PM   #8
Runngun

I use full choke for trapshooting, but a modified is fine for 16 yard work.

Pat Brophy