The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 17, 2000, 02:35 PM   #26
s_lew

Regarding the Benelli M1S90's, the experience in my neck of the woods with the 3-Gun crowd is that they, for the most part are pretty reliable, especially if one leaves them fairly stock. The more stuff one adds on, seems the more likely the chance of cycling problems, etc. I mean stuff like Sidesaddles, Surefire lights, etc. While most seem to work okay with add-on's, a few started choking as soon as something as simple as a Sidesaddle was added, even when the mounting bolts are left loose. Take it off, and same gun works fine.

Fwiw, I've owned 2. My first one had problems right out of the box and would fail to completely eject empties (buck/slug). The empty would hang in the ejection port and I'd have to pull the bolt back another 1/4 inch to eject the empty then feed the next round. Sent it back to HK warranty and they replaced the recoil spring tube in the buttstock and fixed the problem. Guess it was out of round or dragging someplace. This shotgun was also very sensitive to Sidesaddles.

My second M1S90, otoh, has worked flawlessly from day one, albeit I only shoot buck/slug/highbase birdshot in it. It works fine with the Sidesaddle, too. Go figure...

Fwiw, I've also seen the occasional 11-87, 1100 choke at matches. However, I have had a chance to shoot friends' Vangs or Scattergun Tech 11-87's and they certainly are more comfortable to shoot, recoil-wise, than the Benelli.

If I had to shoot 750 rounds of buck/slug at a 5 day shotgun class, I think that might make a difference. <g>

------------------
Old October 17, 2000, 02:47 PM   #27
s_lew

Oh, regarding Remington, although availibility is spotty, we have a few gun shops, even here in the People's Republic of No. Kalif. that sometimes have the 700 PSS, 870P, 11-87P for sale to us civies. I assume they are combo civilian/LE dealers who have access to the full-line (versus the big chain stores).

Speaking of LE/Mil-only, I got to handle that new Benelli M4 at the last SHOT show, designed, supposedly to USMC specs. Pretty cool package: telescoping stock (heavy!), rail for dot-optics, improved operating system. Too bad we won't be able to get one, at least in that exact configuration...

------------------
Old October 17, 2000, 03:32 PM   #28
9x45

M1911, the short barreled 11-87's have less 'time' from the gas ports to the end of the tube, and therefore need heavier loads or ream out the ports to generate more pressure.

Oleg, try http://www.vangcomp.com/ for new 11-87's
Old October 17, 2000, 03:39 PM   #29
9x45

Oleg, also try http://gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?item=625113
Looks like about 6 days left on this one
Old October 17, 2000, 04:06 PM   #30
Intel6

So it would look something like this

Except mine has MMC ghost rings and a sidesaddle without a sling. Sorry for the dark pic, need to take them again

[This message has been edited by Intel6 (edited October 17, 2000).]
Old October 18, 2000, 07:52 PM   #31
Will Beararms

Oleg:

I have been hunting in SE Arkansas for 29 years since the age of 7. I have seen more
than one shotgun and owned a few myself. More importantly, I have seen masses of people go after the latest fad and witnessed the results there after. I can tell you now that the Benelli fad is coming to a screeching halt in the State that is home to the Duck hunting capitol of the world.

I know nothing about personal defense shotguns. I do, however, know about Duck hunting shotguns. I can tell you from first-hand knowledge that the Super Black Eagle and M90 Benelli's built on a hunting platform are pieces of crap. They are overpriced. They kick and they hang up. They cannot take the rigors of rain, ice mud and snow. My father hunts every day of the hunt except on Sundays and he had a Super Black Eagle that was babied and thoroughly cleaned each week. The spring that goes from the bolt into the stock became so rusted it would not function after only one year of use. A fellow member of our hunting club had an M90 that was brand new last year that hung up with Duck loads constantly. Another member of the club had a brand new Super Black Eagle that hung up constantly. STILL Another member of our club had an M90 that literally spit the part of the bolt assembly into the icey SE AR river bottoms last year. I witnessed all of this first-hand.

Meanwhile, I have consistently been rewarded with unyielding service from an 11-87 SP 3" Magnum. Yes, I lost an O-ring once after dropping it into the water. I cleaned the gun with break cleaner on the side of the bank and put an O-ring from a Mag Lite in it and the gun is still shooting today with that O-ring. This year I did get another shotgun but only because I am a lefty and I wanted an 870 Pump in left-handed version.

Go with the 11-87 and ignore the hype of the Benelli. They are novelties only and they cannot take harsh treatment. The fact that they go for $1,100.00 + is nothing short of criminal.

[This message has been edited by Will Beararms (edited October 18, 2000).]