The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 12, 2010, 12:46 PM   #1
Fingers McGee

FIE Schneider & Glassick w/GB stamp

Lately, a couple of Schneider and Glassick repros have shown up on GunBroker with a stamping on the backstrap I had never seen - or at least paid attention too - before. It is a capital B inside a G. Anyone kinow what this means??? Here's a link to one of them: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=199696148

On a side note. I've been trying to find info on the original Schneider and Glassick pistols with not much luck. No pictures, no references - nada. I did run across an article from a newspaper (?) saying that there were only 50 Schneider and Glassicks made before the Union burned the factory, and the whereabouts of all but three are unknown. Anyone have a source for info on original S&Gs??

FM
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old November 13, 2010, 09:36 AM   #2
madcratebuilder

PM sent.
Old November 13, 2010, 12:41 PM   #3
Fingers McGee

MCB - email reply sent.

Have found some more information on the original S&Gs. I picked up an old book yesterday. "The original Confederate Colt - The Story of the Leech and Rigdon and Rigdon-Ansley Revolvers" - published in 1953. Verrry interesting book when it comes to the L&R revolvers. In it there is one mention of the S&G in it stating that only 15 were made prior to the Union taking Memphis (Demo guns to get a Gov't contract??); and that two are known that are stamped Schneider and Glassick - serial number 6 being brass framed with octagonal barrel and serial number 12 being iron framed and round barrel. Conjecture by the author was that S&G was merely reselling other makers products with their stamp on them - not unlike the early days of the Italian reproduction business???

My 'Firearms of the Confederacy" only has two mentions of Schneider and Glassick. First mention is that they should be classified as military goods importers rather than gunsmith's (pg240) with the second mention being a citation of a Memphis news item that they had recently displayed a Navy pistol of their own design; and that after the fall of Memphis, they were not heard of again (pg251).

I have another book on order "Civil War Guns - the complete history of Federal and Confederate small arms: design, manufacture, Identification, ........" William B. Edwards (1962) we'll see what it says about S&G when it gets here, although I'm not expecting much.

Have also found two other books that are available through secondary market; but they're more than I want to spend right now. They are "Confederate Revolvers" William A. Gary (1987); and The Confederate Brass Framed Colt and Whitney" William A. Albaugh (1955). Will try to get these through the Library before I spend the money.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old November 17, 2010, 02:53 PM   #4
bprevolver

GB & PR Markings

That GB marking is one that I have also have been trying to identify for many years. Along with the PR marking it is one of the most elusive markings around. Several have speculated what it is but no actual documentation.

I recently picked up an 1851 Army (Navy but .44cal.) with steel case hardened frame on Gun Broker with three different length barrels, 12”, 7 ½”, and 5”. The barrels all have the same serial number as the revolver. EMF sold these back in the early 1980’s as a set. I have a copy of their ad for this revolver set from an old Gun List, November, 1980. It has the Italian proof marks and the “PR” marking on the butt and that is all. This indicates to me that “PR” was an Italian manufacturer and not an importer/distributor marking.

A while back I ask Boyd Davis, founder of EMF, about this set. He did not remember having it in their inventory but wasn’t surprised that EMF may have offered it. It was part of the “one up man ship" game that all the importers/distributors were involved in, in order to compete in the late 1970’s-80’s. It was EMF and Navy Arms who also offered the 3rd Model Dragoon with the 18” barrel, shoulder stock, and holster.

I had this three barrel set on a list that I keep of items known to exist but did not expect to ever see because of its’ uniqueness and rarity. I thought this of the 18” barrel Dragoons as well but have since run across only five of these in 17yrs. RPRCA has three of these in its collection. Who knows how long it may be before another three barrel set, completely in tact may again appear.