The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 1, 2009, 05:33 PM   #1
Mandrake

The Winchester 1200 Defender Kicks Ass

I just got this thing last month and took it out to the desert along with my friend who brought his Mossberg 500 w/ pistol grip and folding stock. A couple of his friends kids who never shot a gun in their lives came along too.
By the end of the weekend not only was I loving the 1200 but after I took a poll of what the kids favorite gun all weekend was they also chose The Defender.
This was out of a choice of guns that included a 10/22, M1A, Walther p99, SKS and the aforementioned Mossberg 500.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that I love the Winchester Defender. It holds 8 shots and the pump action is extremely fast/smooth...

p.s not intended to **** off Mossy fans...I think thats also a great shotgun.
Old April 1, 2009, 06:23 PM   #2
colostomyclown

Congrats on getting a good Defender. I myself don't like the action much at all on them (or the Fn Herstal for that matter as it's based off of the defender) but it's a matter of preference. Maintenance has a LOT to do with how a shotgun performs and feels in my opinion. My Mossbergs were stiff as a board before I fieldstripped and cleaned/lubricated and put a lot of shells through them. Now they're like glass!
Old April 1, 2009, 06:27 PM   #3
IDAHO83501

Yeah, my Defender is cool, I'm glad you like yours too. I bought mine for 1 reason only, home defense, I'm glad to say I have not used it yet for it's intended use.
Old April 1, 2009, 07:24 PM   #4
Mandrake

Is your Defender a plain jane or did you do stuff to it? I was gonna soup mine up but I've grown fond of the classic wood stock look.