The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 10, 2014, 10:16 PM   #1
skizzums

Taurus PT-111 2nd Gen

Was wondering how owners of this gun felt about them. I plan to buy one this weekend. please no Taurus haters, I have 3 that work perfectly. just wanna know how this particular model has been. I love the sights and the ergos. how does it hold up to the shield?

the man at the LGS stated that he has never had a pt111 come back, but has had 5-6 shields come back.......that sounds a little silly to me, since I am sure he has sold a dozen shields for every one pt111, whatever.
Old July 13, 2014, 02:29 AM   #2
Pukindog12

Although the PT111 G2 is a newer design from Taurus it really is a superb weapon considering price and intended use. Compact enough to easily be an EDC yet holds 12+1 to double as home defense if needed.

I don't know if I would purchase another Taurus product (except maybe a 92) but I wouldn't hesitate buying another PT111 G2. Taurus seems to have gotten this one right.

All the reviews are mostly positive about the PT111 G2 for a good reason. Check it out. You may be pleasantly surprised.

http://www.9mmhandgunreviews.com/tau...11-review.html

http://www.gunblast.com/Taurus-PT111G2.htm

http://www.thegunmag.com/taurus-brig...-serious-look/

Last edited by Pukindog12; July 13, 2014 at 04:41 AM. Reason: added info
Old July 13, 2014, 10:21 AM   #3
Que

For a number of years I had a 111 MilPro Gen 2 that I used as a car gun. I shot very well with it and it was 100% reliable. Stupidly I sold it. It always bothered me that it was gone so last year I found another and bought it. It turned out to be a Gen3 with re-strike capability but otherwise the same gun. It now rides in my Jeep and I am happy once again. I have what most would consider to be "much nicer" guns, but this one fits the bill for this particular need. Compact, reliable, accurate with nice capacity. A full sized duty pistol in relatively tight quarters just doesn't cut it for me. The 111 shoots like a larger gun.

Earlier this year I acquired a G2 as part of a trade. Other than the simplified takedown I found that the G2 offered little to nothing over my Gen 3. I do like the grip texturing of the G2 but didn't see it as all that much of an improvement over my Gen 3. I actually prefer the trigger of my Gen 3 and had no use for the rail on the G2. My G2 ended up as part of a trade for a Luger. I don't miss it. I'm not knocking the G2 at all, but, knowing what I know, and based on my preferences, I would go with the Gen 3 every time. The Gen 2 and the G2 would be a toss-up.

All of that said, you can't go wrong with any of them.
Old July 14, 2014, 12:20 AM   #4
skizzums

i looked at a ziilion reviews online, as long as were talking gen 2 or 3, i really couldnt find a negative comment. even Buds had 24 reviews and all were positive, i put the gen2 on layaway, will get it sometime this week or next. thanks
Old July 15, 2014, 04:37 PM   #5
Que

Good move. I don't think that you will regret it. Just be aware that with this pistol and the Heine straight 8 sights you will most likely have to put the top dot over and covering the point of aim. It will take some experimentation but that knowledge may save you some ammo.
Old July 16, 2014, 11:01 PM   #6
Pukindog12

The G2 comes stock with 3 dot sights.
Old July 17, 2014, 07:55 AM   #7
Que

I believe the OP has acquired a Gen 2 rather than a G2. Could be wrong about that. There can be confusion on that as the G2 and Gen 2 are different guns. Either way he will be happy.
Old July 18, 2014, 12:44 AM   #8
skizzums

Well now that you said that, I don't know what heck I bought. Will find out tomorrow I guess
Old July 18, 2014, 07:54 AM   #9
Que

If it is a new gun it's probably the new G2. But, there are still NIB 2nd and 3rd Gen guns around.
Old July 22, 2014, 03:58 PM   #10
buckeye49

Taurus PT 111 G2

I bought the (stainless version) of the new PT111 G2 a couple of weeks ago.

So far I have fired about 200 rounds through it. I shot 50 of my reloaded Hornady XTP 115 grain HP bullets throught it, I then shot 20 rounds of Hornady factory Critical Defense HP through it, then I shot about 150 rounds of my Precision Delta 115 grain round nose reloads through the gun with no issues of any kind. It worked flawlessly.

I took some paper targets to the range and got the gun sighted in since it has a fully adjustable rear sight. It was shooting mostly center, but low. So, I got the windage set really quickly and easily, then I worked on tweaking the elevation.

I used a shoot n' See target and got this sucker shooting dead-on at 7, 10 and 12 yards.

Then I decided to try on the steel targets, bowling pins, and the like. I shot as far out (4th row back) at steel targets (8" steel round plates, etc.) and it was about 20 yards. This pistol was dead on accurate.

I am extremely happy with this pistol.

By the way, I also own the S&W M&P shield in 9mm. That guns works perfectly also, but I am a terrible shot with it. Per the instrcution manual you cannot adjust the rear sight, but can only adjust the front sight for windage on the "Shield". Mine shoots low and left. I have drifted the sight so that it is closer to center, but not bullseye. But, I cannot adjust it for elevation.

I like my PT 111 G2 much better. It has the loaded chamber indicater that you can FEEL in the dark; it has the light rail on the front (if one cares to use it) and it has 12 rounds capacity. It fits perfectly in my S&W M&P Shield belt and my IWB leathr/kydex holsters.

I have not yet decided to sell the S&W M&P Shield, but I am tempted too.

Regardless, I have owned several Taurus pistols and revovlers and have never had the first issue with them. I am very, very pleased with this PT 111 G2 and highly recommend it.
Old July 24, 2014, 05:43 PM   #11
skizzums

thanks buckeye, got the G2 as well, havent shot it yet, i have a shield 40 and like it, if your shooting low and to the left, you dont need to sell it, it is most likely that you are tightening your fingers in anticipation of the shot

the nature of the knucles in your hand pull the gun every so slightly left when tightening up your hand, if you searcharound online you can find 100 different opinions on how to correct low-left shooting and see just how common of a problem it is, i will usually just turn my grip clock-wise around the gun so the backstrap is seated more center into the web of my hand, and of course practice keeping a light grip

the thing about adjustable pistols sights is it sometimes let you mask a bad shooting habit rather than correcting it

of course, it could also be the gun just isnt a good fit for you