The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 11, 2012, 08:08 AM   #1
robfromga

WCC 5.56 brass loose primer pockets?

I got 1000 WCC 5.56 cases in a trade. Decapped, removed the crimp with a super swag. All my normal steps, no differences. When loading, the primer pockets felt "easy", like the primer went in too loose. CCI 400 srp. Only loaded a 100 and stopped. Haven't shot em.

I did take a case and prime with no powder and tried to remove the primer or get it to back out by hitting the case on a bench(smart guy right?) It didn't budge. I'm just used to a more positive feel while priming.

Opinions?
Old November 11, 2012, 10:13 AM   #2
ricklaut

Others with more WCC experience will chime in, I'm sure...

The WCCs I've dealt with were crimped & still tight after swaging. But, if I was in your shoes and after tapping the rims on a solid surface & they didn't budge, I'd load them up.
Old November 11, 2012, 10:16 AM   #3
Jim Watson

What rifle?
A blown primer will tie up an AR if it falls into the action.
Not likely you would ever notice it in a bolt action unless so loose as to fall out when ejected.
Old November 11, 2012, 12:52 PM   #4
robfromga

AR.

I backed the case holder out a bit on the super swag thinking that may help,but haven't primed those cases.

Would a small dab of nail polish help hold them. ?
Old November 12, 2012, 08:48 AM   #5
Jimro

I wouldn't bother with the nail polish just yet.

Load 10 rounds and see if you have any problems. There is a sweet spot for pressure with primers, and as long as your load isn't above or below that pressure level easy primer seating shouldn't bother you too much as the pressure in the case will expand the primer into the pocket and keep a tight seal. Too much pressure and the primer starts failing around the edges as the primer pocket gets overstretched, and too little pressure the primer will back out as it doesn't have enough grip against the pocket.

If you do have a problem, nail polish might work, but I have my doubts.

Jimro
Old November 12, 2012, 10:36 PM   #6
medalguy

You may have "over=swaged" the brass. I did this once too, now when I set up the swager I do about 10 pieces of brass, try to prime them, and see if the primers seat OK. If not, I slightly increase the amount of swaging, and try 10 more. When I think I'm where I want to be, I go ahead and swage 50 cases and prime them, then another 50, and after that I feel like I'm good to go. I like to swage the minimum amount to insure tight primers and maximum case life.

I don't think nail polish will do anything at all.