The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 30, 2001, 07:43 PM   #1
slickpuppy

Power Case Trimmers

I just ran some brand new Starline brass through the sizing die of my press and almost all of it is now exceeding the maximum OAL.

I really have no desire to hand trim 1000 pieces of pistol brass with the Forster and I don't want to use it as it is since it is oversize. AND I sure as hell am not throwing it out.

I know C&H is making their power trimmer and it lists 45 pistol in their list of pilots.

Is anyone out there using this piece of equipment to size their pistol caliber brass in various calibers?
Old July 1, 2001, 09:44 AM   #2
Contender

Don't know what you are willing to spend but, you may try the Lee Trimmer pilots. Simply buy the base and cutter head once. ($5) and then get the case length guage,shellholder for your particular cartridge. ($5)

I chuck the base in a cordless drill on slow, insert the case and trim along at a pretty good clip holding the cutter head in the other hand.

Very small investment to at least try before spending some big bucks on a power trimmer.

I have a foster trimmer myself and find I'm using the Lee trimmer more and more because there are no adjustments to make.

Regards
Old July 1, 2001, 12:23 PM   #3
skyder

Have you considered the Forster drill adapter? I use one with a power drill and it does a quick job shortening Luger by 1 mm to make Makarov brass. I can do a couple hundred or more in a session. Probably your least costly option to get what you are after.
Old July 1, 2001, 02:07 PM   #4
JoeHatley

Ditto what Contender said!!

I've been using using the inexpensive Lee hand trimmer set up, in a variable speed drill for years. Works like a charm and cost almost nothing.

Good Luck...

Joe
Old July 1, 2001, 04:47 PM   #5
slickpuppy

Thanks for the feedback.

I will pass on Lee anything because my experience with their products leaves a lot to be desired.

Skyder, I considered the drill option for my Forster. What kind of throughput per hour do you get?

As for the C&H I wasn't really concerned with price. I just want something that works FAST!
Old July 2, 2001, 11:07 AM   #6
Bogie

The Lee trimmer gizmos work very well.

If you've got a BUNCH of brass to trim, I'd recommend the Lyman drill press setup. It has a trimmer you chuck into the drill, and a holder that you bolt to the press...

And making the world's greatest bottle openers!
Old July 3, 2001, 10:32 AM   #7
MADISON

Power Case Trimmers

Some years ago, I was fooling with a Contender in .357 Harret. I picked up a LYMAN POWER TRIMMER. The thing, according to the 2000 pricelist, for $189.95. It can be had for around $130 + or -. You might consider the carbide cutter.
Old July 3, 2001, 02:20 PM   #8
Bogie

And if you're dead-set against Lee, and don't care that SOME of their products do a really terrific job, not even factoring in the bargain basement cost, and you want some truly good accuracy with a fair amount of speed, try the Wilson case trimmer. With the adapter that I ordered from Sinclair's, I can hook a power screwdriver to mine. Perfect square cuts every time... I trim my benchrest brass by hand tho...

And making the world's greatest bottle openers!