The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 8, 2015, 07:49 AM   #1
Panfisher

Time for a new knife

I have decided for no particular reason that it is time for a new knife. I haven't bought one in over a year so I am due. For some reason I have focused on a Puma brand, fixed blade. Either the Coyote Stag or the Elk Hunter Stag, one has a finger grove for the index finger the other is a smooth handle. I don't know if I will be able to find a store near me that has one or both in stock to handle. Anybody have any experience with the Puma's especially the ones I listed. This will be a using knife, one I plan to keep for many years, not as a safe queen though.
Old June 8, 2015, 04:27 PM   #2
603Country

Go to the Texas Hunting Forum and look in the knife section. Some of those guys can build what you want and make it absolutely beautiful. Damascus steel or whatever you want. If you want a one of a kind type knife, they can do it for you.

As for me, I just use my old USMC KaBar for most utility skinning, and switch to a thin bladed folder for the backstrap. I've been thinking about getting one of those guys to make me a KaBar with a Damascus steel blade. I saw one once and could not talk the owner into selling it to me.
Old June 8, 2015, 05:27 PM   #3
sicumj

I just bought a custom made knife. Four inch Damascus steel blade about 8 inches overall. Elk horn handle. I love it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CameraZOOM-20150608182610452.jpg (112.4 KB, 71 views)
Old June 8, 2015, 06:11 PM   #4
Panfisher

Nice stuff but at this point I have no need or even want of a custom knife just something nice but different. Plus I am way too cheap to put out that much money for a knife. I can get s Puma Mule deer hunter for $50. German steel but assembled in china. Heck I have spent more on less before. Father's day is coming up. Ironically much of the work of cleaning and skinning a deer gets done with a folding utility/razor knife with a hook blade and a $15 cold steel Canadian Belt knife.
Old June 8, 2015, 06:59 PM   #5
Jack O'Conner

This is my favorite hunting knife: Schrade Golden Spike with custom sheath. The new ones are imported but still built very well.

Jack
Old June 8, 2015, 07:46 PM   #6
psalm7

Cold Steel and take your pick .
Old June 8, 2015, 08:38 PM   #7
Panfisher

I have a Golden Spike I bought over 25 years ago, the shape never quite worked for me, recently my son has been eyeballing it though. Currently have 5 or so Cold Steel knives including a Master Hunter and SRK in Carbon V steel, an untimate hunter in Australia 8A, a voyager clip knife, and the aforementioned Canadian Belt knife. I have no shortage of knives, but I don't have a Puma or a Knives of Alaska blade. Was hoping someone has or had a Puma to tell what they thought of it.
Old June 11, 2015, 06:13 AM   #8
mxsailor803

I've got a couple custom knives that I've had almost 20 years. It took me almost 2 years to use my first one because it was a gift. I actually met the man who made it. He looked at me and said "I built these knives to use, use it". After that, I've been using it ever since. Its skinned a bunch of deer and only needed sharpening about 4 years ago.
Old June 11, 2015, 08:01 AM   #9
603Country

Panfisher, I don't have a Puma, but my Dad did. Since he, in his later years, didn't skin deer or sharpen knives, much of that work fell to me. I've always been the family knife sharpener. I sharpened that Puma many times. It had good hard steel, but was rather tough to sharpen with the stones I had available to me back then. Now, with the diamond plates I use, I expect it would be much easier to sharpen. And one minor complaint I had about that specific Puma style was that the blade looked like the one on the Golden Spike knife that someone showed pics of. The edge is a constant curve. A curved blade is a little more tough to get an even and very sharp edge on. I prefer a knive with a straight blade edge and a curve at the tip, like you'd see on a KaBar.
Old June 11, 2015, 08:10 AM   #10
Saltydog235

Always wanted a Puma White Hunter but not at the $300.00 price tags I see.
Old June 11, 2015, 05:11 PM   #11
Panfisher

Yeah the true german ones are expensive
The SGB models are the same steel but it is all assembled in China. I definitely prefer a drop point or straight upper edge. The worst part is once I got to looking at the models there several models that are very similar but differ slightly in blade length and handle
Gotta narrow it down some. Actually got to handle the SGB coyote stag at Bass Pro the other day, felt nice. Honestly I think is like deciding which cut of steak to throw on the grill, it will still be great.
Old June 12, 2015, 02:05 AM   #12
bamaranger

Puma

Only Puma I own is a folder, relatively small one too, green scales and a perhaps a 2.75" blade. "?
The knife is a good 30 yrs old, and when I first acquired it, I carried it almost religiously for a couple of years. Put a "bandit" thumbstud on it. Seemingly good stainless blade, clip pointed. Hollow ground, it could be made incredibly sharp. The lock, scales, overall quality seemed quite high.

Moved to a flat grind blade of another make after a bit, believing such a bevel more durable for general use.
Old June 12, 2015, 10:23 AM   #13
psalm7

I have both the Army and USMC Kabar's . A Cold Steel GI Tanto and Bowie next CS will be a OSS . I found a old German made butcher knife at a fle market I am going to refinish to make a frountier Mnt Man knife to go with my black powder set . I do not have the golden spike but do have the one like it with the curved skinning blade the Schrade Uncle Henry anaversry edition I carry Deer Hunting . Nothing wrong with Puma but there is so much compitition around them I just never bought one .

Last edited by psalm7; June 12, 2015 at 12:06 PM.
Old June 12, 2015, 11:45 AM   #14
Sure Shot Mc Gee

And old Boker (215) pruner for daily carry. A chrome Wyoming & a wood handled EKA lock blade fillet for in the field duty's. Havalon Piranta in camp for skinning. I have always liked the idea of having hunting knives with a removable blade. Always sharp & sanitary clean is my motto. Being old school about things "Oops I forgot to re-sharpen it last year" will never be a acceptable excuse with me or spoken by me.
Old June 12, 2015, 01:47 PM   #15
Panfisher

I believe I have made my choice in the Puma SGB Elk Hunter Stag with leather sheath. When I get it in my hand I'll give a quick review of it.
Old June 19, 2015, 08:06 AM   #16
Panfisher

Quick review as promised. The Puma finally showed up in the mail yesterday.

First impressions, nice solid, heavy duty knife, with a wide blade, handle feels good, overal very handsome knife.

Blade, didn't seem all that sharp but didn't matter to me as I am a sharp edge freak and would have sharpened it if it had been a straight razor. I will say that it sharped up very very well.

The sheath is a pocket or enclosed type, knife is held in by friction. The leather seems thin and a little stiff, but have given it a dose of mink oil and hopefully it will soften up. It does hold the knife well enough that it is almost difficult to get out.

Fit and finish. not bad, if it were a $300 german hand finished I would be realled upset at the finished quality. But for an $83 delivered to my door it isn't bad. Almost wish I could buy one that they left the handle & tang oversized on and I could finish it myself.

Obviously I haven't gotten to use it on anything yet, but I think I like it so far.
Old June 19, 2015, 12:10 PM   #17
rickyrick

Look into zvord. Hand made blades. High carbon steel. Can be sharpened to a crazy level of sharpness. They are finished quite rough, but are sold really cheap.

Very tough bush knives, they have a few different styles.

Many people buy them and refine them, but they work as is.
Old June 19, 2015, 12:17 PM   #18
rickyrick

Sorry, didn't notice that the choice had been made, I still present Svord as a viable option as some knives can be found for 10-11$ and hunters 40 or so.
Old June 20, 2015, 06:02 AM   #19
Geezerbiker

I have an old Puma Skinner that has been passed down though the family. It seems like a nice knife. I might carry it hunting if I can find a sheath for it...

Tony
Old June 20, 2015, 12:34 PM   #20
22-rimfire

I have the Puma SGB Elk Hunter with a nylon sheath. I very much like this size of knife and I think it will make an excellent hunting knife. It was very sharp when new. My only real criticism of the Puma is that I can feel the pins (slight protrusion past stag handles) and probably enough to catch a thread. I can live with it.

Have the Cabelas Buck 192 in the Alaskan Guide Series in what I suspect may be better steel (S30V).
Old June 20, 2015, 11:12 PM   #21
Zorro

Differet Appoach

Instead of one great knife carry 6-7 small good ones.

I learned this by losing my knife hunting and had to walk 10 miles round trip to get one.

Put a Spiderco in every pocket and you will be good.
Old June 20, 2015, 11:34 PM   #22
Water-Man

http://www.amazon.com/Cold-Steel-Mas.../dp/B0011MYRN2
Old June 21, 2015, 09:44 PM   #23
Gunplummer

I carry a small (6" OAL) knife I made out of tool steel many years ago. Hunters are pretty superstitious and it would really bum me out to lose my "Lucky" knife.