The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 18, 2012, 09:35 AM   #1
noelf2

1858 revolving carbine

I got the Uberti 1858 Cattleman's Carbine for Christmas (new from Cabela's) and didn't have much time to mess with it during the holidays so I put it in the safe. I got it out last night, admired it for a bit, then set to cleaning it. The bore was dirty and when I cleaned it a brown rusty looking residue came out on the patches. My first reaction was rust!!! I brushed the bore and ran patches down it till it finally came out mirror bright and no evidence of any problems, so it must have been an oil or cosmoline like stuff that Uberti puts in the bore..? None of my Pietta revolvers had that treatment. The cylinder is fine and the internals were well oiled and quite smooth, but found none of the brown stuff. I still plan to run a couple patches with flitz down the bore and do another good cleaning, then to the range.
Old January 18, 2012, 05:56 PM   #2
pvt.Long

I would venture to say its a preservative or oil used for shipping.
Old January 18, 2012, 06:06 PM   #3
Beagle333

I'd go with some kind of preservative too. My Uberti turned a white cotton Tshirt brown when I first cleaned it, right out of the box and freaked me out a bit too, but it was only the first cleaning.
Old January 18, 2012, 07:29 PM   #4
deerslayer303

Quote:
My Uberti turned a white cotton Tshirt brown when I first cleaned it, right out of the box and freaked me out a bit too, but it was only the first cleaning.
My Uberti did the same thing. But you know I don't think they clean the barrel after they test fire them at the factory. Because when I took mine out of the box and looked down the bore with a bore light you can clearly see powder residue in there. They probably just fire them, oil the snot out of them and slap em in that bag.
Old January 19, 2012, 07:58 PM   #5
Newton24b

oil is what ya found. new cosmoline most likely. i think the do an arsenal style hot dip but that may or may not be the method, but opening up that plastic bag and the whole thing a greasy mess aint fun.

on a side note, what is the production rate at pietta? you know it takes half an hour to do a detail strip and clean and reassamble when you fire your revolver, do you think theyd pay 100 people to clean 1000 guns a day total when teh proof house in theory can most likely proof 3000 a day? after all proofing is simply load it with a proof charge, cap it, put it in a vise, and fire it.
Old January 20, 2012, 03:55 PM   #6
deerslayer303

Quote:
on a side note, what is the production rate at pietta? you know it takes half an hour to do a detail strip and clean and reassamble when you fire your revolver, do you think theyd pay 100 people to clean 1000 guns a day total when teh proof house in theory can most likely proof 3000 a day? after all proofing is simply load it with a proof charge, cap it, put it in a vise, and fire it.
True, I wasn't complaining, just stating the obvious. I don't think any firearm manufacturers clean them. I've bought many a Ruger with powder residue in the barrel, the most recent being an lcr. You're right, too time consuming. But one thing is for sure, they put enough oil on those suckers that there ain't no way in haites they are going to attempt to rust.