The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 24, 2010, 05:44 PM   #1
TheKlawMan

Firing Pin H&R Model 1900

I am trying to remove and replace an old Harrinton and Ricardson Model 1900 firing pin that fails to withdraw back into the receiver. This is one of the early guns. While most have a screw on the top of the reciver to hold the firing pin in, mine is internally accessible.

I am suposed to be able to access the screw by removing the trigger guard, which in turn is held in place bu a screw that is almost accessible if the breech locking lug lever is tuned all the way to one side. Still, I cannot quite get a straigt shot at it with a screwdriver and am thijnking I may need to grind the side of a driver down just a half inch from the edge of the blade.

I am going to attach a couple of pictures.

The bottom picure is a git deceptive as the barrel locking lug retracts further so it is flush with the face of the breech block.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg H&R 1900 006.jpg (267.2 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg H&R 1900 007.jpg (240.2 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg H&R 1900 009.jpg (242.6 KB, 34 views)
Old December 24, 2010, 06:07 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

The action may be similar to the Handy Gun and the 088 and 099 shotguns in which the trigger guard is retained by the trigger pivot pin. The pin then has to be drifted out to drop the trigger guard down out of the frame. I don't think I've ever had a 1900 apart myself, so I can't verify that it's the same. A picture of the whole side of the action would verify or disprove this idea.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old December 25, 2010, 04:46 PM   #3
TheKlawMan

Thanks unclenick. Taking a look at the schematic available from numrich and peering into the receiver from the other end, you are clearly correct about the drift pin.http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/...spx?catid=8077

Not having a drift pin punch that was small enough, I took a drill bit and tapped it out with no trouble, but only a quarter inch. Is there anything I should watch for whenn I pull the pin completely out?

Thanks and Happy Holidays

Last edited by TheKlawMan; December 25, 2010 at 05:11 PM.
Old December 25, 2010, 05:47 PM   #4
TheKlawMan

Well, the pin was easily drifted out and I think I see the firing pin screw. I took a picture and the lighting is poor but you can just make out the head of a screw in the recessed area. This is one that I don't want to round off and will take my time removing. The Lakers game just started and I will try to get it out later.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg settlement 010.jpg (242.4 KB, 27 views)
Old December 26, 2010, 04:00 PM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

These types of action are simple to take apart, as you discovered. Good luck with the pin fix. If the parts look stuck, don't forget penetrating oil. If I've got something really stuck I will hit it with PB Blaster, let it sit a day and hit it again, and let it sit another day. Sometimes I run a third day for luck, but two is usually the charm.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old December 26, 2010, 05:36 PM   #6
TheKlawMan

Unclenick. I thought I had asked this. It looks like the firing pin retaining screw is still partiallu blocked by the basse of the trigger. Just drift the trigger pin out and remove it or will it be difficult to get the trigger spring compressed enought to reinsert that pin, without a special tool.

I would add the thing is dry. Just lubricate it with a lilght coat of remoil?
Old December 26, 2010, 08:48 PM   #7
TheKlawMan

The hammer drift pin doesn't want to budge. Is there a chance that it was peened over and I just have to give it more of a rap. Perhaps penetrating oil is needed but I don't see how it would even get in there. Do the heads of the pins sometimes have to be sheared off with a sharp chissel? I suppose as long as I have a replacemenet pin, I can drill it out.