The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 28, 2008, 03:45 PM   #1
JSHunter

Taurus PT92 Conceal holster?

I was a fairly large fellow at about 5' 9" and 250lbs. I am considering carrying my taurus. I don't have a holster for it though. I know it is a little big but, with an IWB holster plus a jacket that I where when ever it is below 50 I believe I could do this. Does anybody have any pictures of people carrying a PT92 or the beretta equilvent?
Old February 28, 2008, 04:21 PM   #2
jfrey123

I don't have a picture, but a cheap bianchi clip on IWB works great with my Glock 17. Thicker grip on the Glock, but it conceals very well under a full jacket or even a slightly baggy fleece vest. I've carried under a sweatshirt too. I'm slightly skinnier than you, being 6'0 230ish, but I also wear my clothes moderately loose.
Old February 28, 2008, 09:42 PM   #3
JSHunter

It is really important that it is comfortable to wear. I would also like it to be lined so I don't tear up the finish. I keep looking at the galco brand. Does anybody have personal experience carrying the PT92 concealed?
Old February 28, 2008, 10:07 PM   #4
NYSJAILER2008

I have the Galco belt pancake holster with high ride for that handgun to wear concealed. That weapon is the exception or easy carry. It is a large frame handgun with a 5" barrell. I am 5'8" 215lbs. and I dress in baggy/loose fittinng clothes all year round. In the winter months its easy to conceal in the streets and i drive a big truck so I its not that uncomfortable when driving, but for the summer/spring season I have my eye a compact Beretta .380 or subcomp glock 26
Old February 28, 2008, 11:01 PM   #5
UniversalFrost

I have a beretta 92FS (same as your taurus) and I have several different holsters I have a nice GALCO SOB that works great when wearing a long suit jacket or parka. A don hume OWB with FBI cant that is a good any day holser and a fobus paddle that I use when at the range or hiking.

I also have a miami rig, but don't recommend a shoulder holster because unless you were a parka you won't be able to conceal a full size pistol very well.

I also just use a 1 mag don hume mag carrier instead of the double mag carriers because 2 15 rd mags really weighs a lot and if I can't hit them with the 15rds in the gun and the 15 rds in the spare mag then I deserve to be shot.

I don't have pics of me with any of these holsters, but all are well concealed with the right clothes.

also you can conceal a fullsize 1911 very easily with a nice IWB or SOB holster.

My reccomendation for you is to hit eBay and search for the beretta 92 or taurus pt92 holsters and get a good deal, but make sure to price match with the other sites like midwayusa, etc....

JOE

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old February 28, 2008, 11:24 PM   #6
JSHunter

I tried my fathers full size 1911 OWB with the FBI cant and I found it very comfortable. I wasn't too sure how concealed it was though. I am really going to look into it.
Old February 29, 2008, 01:15 AM   #7
chris in va

I see you live in VA. There's no real reason to go 'deep undercover' with an IWB here.

With such a heavy/large framed handgun I highly recommend a good OWB of your choice, leather or kydex.

I did the IWB for a little while but it was REALLY uncomfortable and I didn't really find a need for it. Now summertime is different, you'll want to either open carry or find something much smaller like my P11. Same caliber, different size.

Now I tend to rotate all my handguns, whatever I feel like carrying. Today it's my Sig 220 in a Galco FLETCH. Nice thing about this holster, it has a FLAT inner face that conforms to my hip a lot better.
Old February 29, 2008, 07:30 AM   #8
JSHunter

I think your right about the OWB holster. I plan on picking up a bersa thunder .380 for the warmer days that are coming eventually. I know the PT92 is a little big for CC but, I just shoot it very well. It is very comfortable in my hands.