The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 4, 2006, 03:06 PM   #1
wacki

One thing gun makers should do

Is make a gun with an all titanium reciever. That would have the strength of steel (or an 870) with the weight of aluminum. So far the only thing that comes close is this:

http://www.fieldandstream.com/fields...158613,00.html

Why they decided to do the skeleton of titanium wrapped with carbon fiber i don't know. Sure it will shave off some weight but it's one more thing to fail/fall off. Titanium is already light enough.
Old April 4, 2006, 05:48 PM   #2
mjolnir

Titanium is expensive stuff. (Because it isn't reduced the same way from ore as aluminum or steel)

So, for pumps, which are price sensitive, it's a non-starter as what advantage does it bring to the table? If you want light weight, aluminum is lighter...Ithaca 37 Ultralight, for example.

For autos I can see a small market there...a prestige factor. But probably not big enough to justify tooling costs.
Old April 4, 2006, 06:20 PM   #3
biglabsrule

I know its not a shotgun but Remington does offer the model 700 in Titanium.....
"Receiver is machined from solid titanium, resulting in a 1/2 pound weight reduction over steel receivers. "

http://www.remington.com/products/fi...0_titanium.asp

Might be sign that a shoty isnt to far off, remington is known to bring new inovations to market, look at all their caliburs that made/didnt make it :P
Old April 4, 2006, 07:32 PM   #4
Scorch

You don't need the strength of titanium for a shotgun receiver (the bolt locks into the barrel), and you wouldn't want the cost of titanium anyway. Imagine how many of the "New 870 Titanium " they would sell if the price tag was $700-$800. If you think they could sell them, go ask any gun store owner how many 870 Express shotguns get sold for each 870 Wingmaster ($100 difference). Now imagine 3 times the cost.
Old April 4, 2006, 08:16 PM   #5
kozak6

Yes, titanium is quite expensive, especially due to the current shortage.
Old April 7, 2006, 05:48 PM   #6
wacki

Quote:
If you think they could sell them, go ask any gun store owner how many 870 Express shotguns get sold for each 870 Wingmaster ($100 difference). Now imagine 3 times the cost.
Meh, I don't really think this is a valid argument because the wingmaster is just a shiny version of the express. And in my opinion that is a BAD thing. I would actually pay more money for the express than the wingmaster. And if I bought a wingmaster I would likely dull it up to look like the express.

Titanium is much lighter, stronger, and is impervious to weather. Those are pretty big advantages.
Old April 7, 2006, 08:26 PM   #7
Dilbert

Why not titanium

Because titanium sucks to machine, is expensive, and is an unneeded change to a good design.
Gun Control-gun con·trol n. definition 1. The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker received that fatal bullet wound. 2. The ability to hit what you are aiming at.
Old April 7, 2006, 08:46 PM   #8
Rembrandt

Titanium may solve one problem....but creates another.

While a Titanium gun has appeal, the lighter weight results in more felt recoil and a harder kicking gun. Gun manufacturers learned a long time ago heavier guns reduce felt recoil, buying public insists having recoil pads on their shotguns. Gunmakers have tried to tame this with inertia recoil and gas operating systems. This becomes more of an issue with the use of steel shot, longer shells, and greater powder charges.
Old April 7, 2006, 10:40 PM   #9
Ruger4570

If you don't have the strength or the ability to carry a 870, you should do one of 2 things,, start working out and get some muscle,, or take up golf and give up hunting. No matter what the gun manufacturers do to accomadate the wimps,, they still bitch. Go find another sport,, like checkers
Old April 8, 2006, 05:34 AM   #10
wacki

Quote:
If you don't have the strength or the ability to carry a 870, you should do one of 2 things,, start working out and get some muscle,, or take up golf and give up hunting. No matter what the gun manufacturers do to accomadate the wimps,, they still bitch. Go find another sport,, like checkers
The lighter the gun is the more ammo one can carry.
Old April 8, 2006, 05:57 AM   #11
Glock 31

I have a Taurus Titanium TI .38 special snub nose with a deep blue stained or I guess it's called anodized finish. Recoil is a little hard but nothing a strong grip can't take. Rubber grips and five rounds make it a good little backup revolver. Would upload photos if I had a decent computer.