The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 1, 2006, 06:42 PM   #1
Kato_Guy

i need info or opinions on the franchi I-12

i was at the local gun and saw a franchi I-12 for 599 and it looked and felt nice. what do you think about it. it feels nicer than the winchester x2. it feels a lot like the benelli but almost half the price. let me know all you know about it i looked on the website but they tell you all they want you to know please let me know!!! i am going to be shooting mostly 2 3/4" shells would this be a problem with this particular semi-atuo is there going to be much of a difference between this gun and the beretta 3091that they sell at walmart?? sorry i am so annoying asking all kind of questions here!!
Old April 2, 2006, 01:50 AM   #2
308SORRELS

The Frenchi is built by Bennelli and has no problem shooting 2 3/4 .It is a fine gun .my nephew has 1 and I have shot it a bunch and havve thought about adding 1 to my collection and probably will ( Just do not tell my wife she still does not know about the last 3 I bought)
Old April 2, 2006, 01:53 PM   #3
Kato_Guy

i picked it up ar scheels and it really feels like a nice gun if i do buy it and the thing won't take anything less tahn 3" would the factory do anything or hasn't anyone had a problem with that do all semi autos take 2 3/4 inch shells nicely? after a long night of debating i am thinking i will probally get one this week thanks for everyone's help but keep them coming!!
Old April 6, 2006, 01:20 PM   #4
duckcallinfool

Kato-guy,

I have never heard of a 3" shotgun or a 3 1/2" for that matter that wouldn't accept 2 3/4" shells.
Old April 6, 2006, 01:49 PM   #5
litigator02

Granted, I'm new to this stuff, but I can't even picture what the insides of a gun would look like that would take 3" but not 2 3/4." Pardon my terminology (and correct me if you're so inclined), but when the shell slides forward into the chamber, it's stopped from sliding the rest of the way down the barrel - regardless of its size - by the brass bottom of the shell, which is slightly wider than the shell body, right? So it's not like a 2 3/4 would slide too far up, as long as it was the right gauge...
Old April 7, 2006, 04:40 PM   #6
Kato_Guy

i have to re-word what i was saying before i didn't mean would it take a 2 3/4 inch shell i was wondering if it would CYCLE the 2 3/4 inch shell as well as a 3" shell i heard that the smaller shells sometimes have problems CYCLING i know there is a breakin period but i am going to be shooting mostly the trap loads and i am not going to buy one if it will only CYCLE the 3" shells
Old April 7, 2006, 09:58 PM   #7
hoghunting

The I-12 is a very reliable shotgun. You should not have any problems with the 2 3/4" shells feeding or ejecting, even using target loads. The recoil operating system does a great job.