The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 20, 2013, 01:23 PM   #1
5 STRING

Please Forgive My Ignorance

I have gotten myself into a small predicament....yes it's my fault, and yes it's my failure to pay attention to what I was being told through my conscience and better judgement.

I have been trying to come up with a couple of pounds of IMR 4895, IMR 4064, or Varget. Are there any of these available in NC ??

I know, I know,.... I screwded up,..my bad....I promise I won't be stupid again.

Old March 20, 2013, 06:56 PM   #2
BigD_in_FL

Why not look online and buy there?
Old March 20, 2013, 07:14 PM   #3
lamarw

I just went to the IMR web site and did a search on dealers in North Carolina. There was well over fifty listed. I have no idea where you are at in North Carolina, but you could also check for neighboring states. Hodgdon web site also had a similar long list of dealers.

Hope this is of help. It only took me a minute to do the search. Their dealer list also have phone numbers which will save some gas.
Old March 20, 2013, 07:23 PM   #4
5 STRING

I was trying to get around the hazmat fees, and just make the drive to get some. I had been buying what I could get from a local dealer, who carries reloading components, and of course with all the chaos going on right now, they are fizzled out to nothing like everybody these days.

Who would be the most likely online source to be able to fill and ship an order within a reasonable time frame? And here again, I guess a time frame for shipping is irrelevant, .. ie .. We'll get it when we get it .. As long as we get it (that is)

Who do most of you guys order from?? and as a general rule ... just general mind you .. How long are you having to wait to get a shipping confirmation from the supplier?

Thanks for any help,

Old March 20, 2013, 07:33 PM   #5
5 STRING

I just went to the IMR web site and did a search on dealers in North Carolina. There was well over fifty listed. I have no idea where you are at in North Carolina, but you could also check for neighboring states. Hodgdon web site also had a similar long list of dealers.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I checked the closest IMR dealers yesterday, they are bone dry and have no idea when they will have any stock. I found some Alliant Reloader yesterday, but it takes so darned much of it to charge a 150gr JSP (52 / 62gr) That's why I wanted the IMR to conserve.

I'll get back on Hodgdon and IMR's site and do some more calling in the morning, as well as calling the local guy every day, as I have been doing.

Thanks for the help

Old March 20, 2013, 07:36 PM   #6
Sport45

The difference between 50 and 60 grain loads is only a couple dozen rounds per pound of powder...

Just say'n.
Old March 20, 2013, 07:40 PM   #7
5 STRING

The difference between 50 and 60 grain loads is only a couple dozen rounds per pound of powder...

Just say'n.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know,.. I'm a darned conservation freak, it's that waste not, want not.. efficiency state of mind thing... I was raised like that ... LOL!
Old March 20, 2013, 07:45 PM   #8
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Use the powder that performs best for you in your cartridges and guns.

If you pay $25 a pound, you'd get 140 loads at 50gr or 116 loads at 60gr.

That's 21 cents a round versus 18 cents a round. 3 cents difference.
Old March 20, 2013, 08:15 PM   #9
5 STRING

I looked at Hodgdons dealer list for my area, and there are quite a few that I didn't know about. Actually a lot of them, I'll get on the phone in the AM, if that don't produce anything then I probably will place an online order with Powder Valley or MidSouth etc. and deal with the hazmat fees.

Thank you all for your input.

Old March 20, 2013, 08:17 PM   #10
BigD_in_FL

IF you have an accurate load that you know already works, to save on hazmat buy 8# jugs and several of them - that helps
Old March 20, 2013, 08:39 PM   #11
5 STRING

"IF you have an accurate load that you know already works, to save on hazmat buy 8# jugs and several of them - that helps"

Yep,..That is why I really wanted the IMR. I was using 4895 and 4064 under a 150gr JSP with very accurate results out of my bolt rifle years ago. I had heard that Varget was a good choice nowadays with Nosler 150gr E-Tips as well. I have some Speer JSP "Spire Point" projectiles left over from 25 years ago and that was one of the reasons that I was intending to load with this powder choice.

I like the 150gr projectiles, I had tried lighter weight bullets and different powders, but for all around usage down here in my area the average distance per shot in hunting situations is 100yds to 150yds max, and that's sittin' in the top of a tree. But for target rounds, of course you can make the distance whatever you want it to be.

I think your right about the 8# Jug quantity. The local guys wont sell that amount, the limit is 2lbs. per customer. The logical thing for me to do is to order a couple of 8 pounders and that would make the shipping charges easier to eat.

Old March 21, 2013, 09:56 AM   #12
higgite

8 lb jug of powder X 7000 gr/lb @ 50 gr/round = 1120 rounds
$25 hazmat fee adds 2.23 cents per round.
Even cheaper if you buy more powder and/or maybe some primers on the same order. Not a bad "premium" to pay if you can't get powder any other way.
Old March 21, 2013, 03:00 PM   #13
Hundy

No forgiveness needed

Hey no Forgiveness needed, although I feel the same way on some of the stuff I ask. But I always get positive answers and help back.
I wish I could help you, I am also looking for IMR 4064.
Even though I was born and currently live in California, North Carolina is my favorite State. I lived there for 2 years about 20 years ago, I love it there. I have 13 years left until I retire, I am trying to get my California native wife convinced we should move there.

I have looked at every store in California near where I live and work, cannot find it. I am now in Las Vegas Nevada. My wife is with her family doing the tourist thing. I have driven to 6 stores here in a 50 mile radius and none to be found. I have also called another dozen and no luck.
I am going to have to order it. As shown on a previous reply, I will just order big to make the haz mat fee worth it.

Good Luck

Jay
Old March 21, 2013, 03:25 PM   #14
greentick

3rd generation shooters has alliant 2000MR in 8# jugs for $146 plus $28 for shipping.

Thats just over $21 per pound shipped.

Not sure what your shootin but that falls in the same area powder-wise.