The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 7, 2012, 06:55 AM   #26
Jack O'Conner

I've always had good luck with blunt tip soft nose bullets revealing much lead. Never lost a single animal!!

Jack

Old January 7, 2012, 01:34 PM   #27
LSnSC

Ive shot alot of deer with ballistic tips without a failure. The only time Ive ever seen one fail to kill a deer was due to the loose nut at the end of the stock.
Old January 8, 2012, 08:24 AM   #28
hooligan1

In the eighties, and nineties, the rifle I killed most of my deer with, was a Remington 700 in 3006. The load I used was a handloaded 150 grn Ballistic Tip, setting over a weight of 58 grns of IMR 4350. Every animal that I shot with this load went down quickly, like a hammer struck them. When I was lucky enough to find a bullet in them, it was usually in the "off side" shoulder skin. Most of the bullets usually fell in two pieces, the jacket and the lead core.
The energy that they unleashed in the bullet tunnel was sometimes overdone to an extent, sometimes the bullet traveled through completely only leaving a hole about the size of a quarter.

The Ballistic-Tip was designed for accurate long-range harvesting of game, and it did its job well, on these Missouri whitetails.
I started, this very year, using a .270 win as my primary Deer rifle, and I use another bullet from Nosler the Accubond, which has a bonded core, an penetrates a little better than the Ballistic Tip.
The results are super when accurate "shot-placement" is adhered to.
So yes, Rifleman1776 you got just what you paid for in performance from that bullet, and the damage you were trying to name is called hemmorage.

Last edited by hooligan1; January 8, 2012 at 08:32 AM.
Old January 8, 2012, 08:39 AM   #29
arch308

Richmc, my brother and I have been using Nosler BTs for many years and have taken many deer with them. I have found them to produce devastating damage and complete passthroughs and almost all have either dropped in their tracks or run 50 yds or so leaving a blood trail a child could follow. Bullet weight is the key, too light and they will break up but a 150g or better is the perfect deer round, IMO.

Last edited by Art Eatman; January 8, 2012 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Snark removed.