The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old March 18, 2006, 10:23 PM   #1
rhgunguy

Para bull barrel

Good idea for a 14.45 Limited gun? Or should I stick with match bushing barrels?
Old March 19, 2006, 02:17 AM   #2
glockopop

You can get all the barrels you want, I'm still gonna beat you tomorrow like I did last month sucka!
Old March 19, 2006, 07:07 AM   #3
Joe D

Don't think you will gain much with the bull barrel. If you need more weight stick in a tungsten guide rod. You are a little mag capacity challenged with the .45 vs a .40.
Old March 19, 2006, 07:46 PM   #4
HSMITH

I prefer the bushing barrels, I want the gun as light as I can get it.

With that said there is a case for a bushing barrel. If you are going to go full tilt with slide lightening the bull barrel will allow you to take another ounce or a little more out of the slide while maintaining a sane slide velocity. I have a bull barrel in my STI 40 for this reason, otherwise it would have a bushing barrel in it.

If you aren't going to lighten the slide stick with a bushing barrel, especially with a steel framed Para. Those things are about the same weight as an armored car anyway......

Not picking on your gun, I really like the Para guns but prefer my racing guns much lighter.
Old April 1, 2006, 10:09 PM   #5
spd522

I have two barrels for my P14-45. Both are Ed Brown but one is a bushing and one is a Bull. I shoot the Bushing barrel when necessary for IDPA but for L10 and Limited, I use the Bull Barrel.

I like the added weight out front as it balances the gun better when loaded with 230 gr pills. Plus it seems to smooth the recoil.

FWIW, the Bull barrel is slightly more accurate with my preferred handload but I would guess it could be the other way around with a different load.

I use Grams basepads, springs and modified followers to get 18 rounds in my mags. Add the round in the chamber for 19 total and I don't feel hampered shooting a 45 compared to the 40s. If I need more rounds than that in the mag, it's usually that I just need to aim better.