The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 29, 2012, 08:54 AM   #1
Homerboy

Drilling Stud Hole into Knoxx Compstock

The manual says not to use the existing stud hole (they were made by Hogue and turned into the Knoxx stock) because the stud will interfere with the recoil reducing mechanism. It says to drill another hole 1.25" up from the existing hole. First of all, how deep do you go? What size bit? And finally, what stud will screw into it and be secure? It looks like plastic to me. Anybody else do it?
Old July 29, 2012, 01:46 PM   #2
idek

I must have missed the warning about not using the existing hole, because I've used it for the past couple years and never thought anything of it. If it has hindered the function of the stock, I haven't noticed.

I have added holes to other synthetic stocks though. I never worried much about the depth of the hole. The main thing to me was to choose a stud with wide threads.
Old July 29, 2012, 04:01 PM   #3
mete

Synthetic stocks can add other problems such as cutting the length of the stock when it might cut off mounting holes. If the plastic is too thin to use a normal screww sometimes you can use a screw and nut .The nut can be inserted with a long tweezer and some dexterity.