The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 24, 2011, 08:31 AM   #1
bosco269

Model 11?

I have a friend who has an old remington 16ga autoloader that was recently stolen by a crack head. The state police recovered it in pieces and returned it to her re-assembled. The barrel is loose and it will slide front to back about a 1/2 inch of so with ease. Something is not right. I am looking for an exploded view of what parts should be there. The police didn't say to what extent it was broken down when they recovered it. I found the date code info on this site and it looks like it might be a 1947 model 11 sportsman.
On the receiver there is engraving on the right side of a pheasant and grass, and on the left side there is a flying duck over water with weeds in the water.
On the bolt it has The Sportsman engraved on it. The serial # is 1578917

On the barrel the date code is XSS.
Also says it was manufactured in Ilion NY
Can anyone offer any help here with either ID verification of that exploded view?
Old July 24, 2011, 09:17 AM   #2
krimmie

Probably missing the recoil spring. Here's a pdf of an old manual.

http://stevespages.com/pdf/remington_11.pdf
Old July 24, 2011, 10:04 AM   #3
armsmaster270

There are rings that go on the tube with the spring one a split compression ring and two flat on one side and chamfered on the other side.
Old July 24, 2011, 12:44 PM   #4
bosco269

Model 11

Thanks Krimmie and Armsmaster270.
I downloaded the pdf and it is hard to see the exact look of the rings. I sure do appreciate the help. I do have the recoil spring. There ia a small washer type spacer at the receiver end of the magazine tube. Iy has a set screw on it and as I remember is is flat on the side where it allows the barrel to slide by. Then the recoil spring is slid on and that is it. I have no other washers included. sounds like I am missing those rings at least. The magazine cap may be missing something as well. I will post some pics mid week when I can get them. The magazine cap has a set screw that covers a spring that keepa a pin that slides side to side that had to have a purpose in life. That is all that is there of the cap. From the looks of the pics in the manual you sent there should be more there. I will get pics and post them asap. Is there a source for parts like these?
The gun was a bit rusty and not maintained since her husband died but these crack heads sure messed it up. I would like to get it back in order so she can cherish it. I was her grandfathers. Thanks again guys.
Old July 24, 2011, 01:13 PM   #5
TheKlawMan

Numrich

If this is the model you have, this may help and they may have the parts in stock. http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/...spx?catid=5642

If what you need are friction parts for a 16, it looks as though they may be in stock.

Last edited by TheKlawMan; July 24, 2011 at 01:18 PM.
Old July 26, 2011, 06:39 PM   #6
bosco269

Thanks a lot for all of the help. I have a a couple of pics. Can you tell me what is missing?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P7240128.JPG (86.7 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg P7240129.JPG (94.4 KB, 23 views)
Old July 27, 2011, 03:38 AM   #7
bosco269

Friction Parts

Thanks Klawman and all. I should have looked at your link before posting last night. It looks like everything I need is available. You guys have been great!