The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 17, 2010, 03:36 PM   #26
TXGunNut

I shop the Cabelas website for items not in the store and have it shipped to the store to save shipping costs. I'm pretty sure the FT Worth store will honor web prices as business is slow and they're not likely to pass up a chance to make a sale. Haven't tried it but Hardcase's experience is encouraging. Won't know until we walk in and try.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old April 18, 2010, 09:32 AM   #27
byronw999

Yes they do honor the web prices.. I always just print out the web price and bring it with me..

BTW thanks the OP for the heads up!
Old April 19, 2010, 03:36 AM   #28
arcticap

In the CT store they wouldn't honor the web site sale prices from the Bargain Cave. They said that they would for regular sale items but they wouldn't for the Bargain Cave sale items that I tried to buy. And I even went to the customer service desk with the items first but after trying to work it out they said that it was a no go.
Old April 20, 2010, 01:46 PM   #29
byronw999

Added me another purdy 8" 1858 to the herd...Good sale and on top of that I used a $30 Cabelas discount card I got in the mail... Card said not good for firearms but since a BP pistol is not legally a firearm they applied the discount..
Old April 20, 2010, 01:58 PM   #30
ClemBert

Regarding that SS 1858 shorty that kept calling my name:

The sweet sound of that siren calling ClemBeeeert was irresistible. She's on the way to her new home. With a "normal" price of $419.99 on sale at $279.99 and a $40 off coupon. It was hard to resist the $240 price tag. Top that with free shipping (I don't know why but why look a gift horse in the mouth). I'll let y'all know how it turns out. I'm holding my breath though since it's a Pietta product.

Old April 20, 2010, 04:09 PM   #31
Delmar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemBert
I'm holding my breath though since it's a Pietta product.
Not to worry. The Pietta Gorilla doesn't pound wedges into the 1858s! I really love mine!
Old April 20, 2010, 05:24 PM   #32
CajunPowder

Cleeeeembeeeeerrrtt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemBert
She's on the way to her new home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunPowder
Jeeaaaallllloooouuuuuussssss

I heard the Pietta cylinders are longer than the Uberti cylinders and will take a maximum load of 342.8 grains of smokeless and a 700 conical!

I even heard you could launch small tactical nukes from the stainless steel ones!
Old April 20, 2010, 06:24 PM   #33
ClemBert

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunPowder
I even heard you could launch small tactical nukes from the stainless steel ones!
Let's not exaggerate....think you heard "grenade launcher".

Doubt I'll keep it but I also picked up one of these:

Old April 20, 2010, 09:34 PM   #34
azsixgun

Too Good to be True?

I've got a Cabela's Club Visa discount card, but it requires a $200-299.99 purchase to get a $30 discount. It further states, "Not valid for FIREARM purchases", "Not valid for internet purchases" and "Offer cannot be used in combination with any other promotion or previous offers".

I don't mind buying an extra $10 worth of product to get the deal, but the three terms that follow make me think it's not worth trying to argue it. Maybe I need to pour the employee a couple drinks to make them see that a BPR isn't a firearm, honor the internet price at the store (after I was told by an employee that they wouldn't honor internet promotions)and that the discount should be applied, despite the sale!

If they'd apply the $30 discount, I'd buckle and buy a Pietta.

Mark
Old April 21, 2010, 07:12 AM   #35
madcratebuilder

Quote:
you could launch small tactical nukes
Now that's a strong selling point!
Old April 21, 2010, 10:36 PM   #36
azsixgun

My apologies to Byronw999 for doubting you that Cabelas would honor the Cabelas Visa $30 discount.

I was working near the Cabelas store this afternoon and decided it would behoove me to examine their Pietta 1858 Remingtons. They had two in stock and they both looked great, so I asked if they'd honor the internet sale price and he said, "yes". So I asked if black powder revolvers were considered to be firearms and he said, "no, we'll let you walk it up to the front cashier and buy it there" (rather than back at the gun counter. I had showed him the Cabela's Visa coupon and he said the only reason they wouldn't honor the coupon would be if it stated "not valid with other promotions" - so I pointed out where it does say exactly that! He replied, "well, this is an internet promotion rather than a store sale, so we'll honor the discount"!

If you want one of these guns and do not have a Cabela's Visa card, you can apply for one at the store and receive a $50 discount off of your purchase - you'll have a better deal than Byron and I received!

Happy shopping!
Old April 21, 2010, 11:17 PM   #37
CajunPowder

Did azsixgun? or didn't azsixgun?

azsixgun:

I'm glad you got to handle some metal!

Well, did you, or didn't you?

I say ya didn't because I know you like to think things over.

If BOTH of those Pietta's looked good to you, I'd have to say that somebody at that store checked them out and made sure what was on display was good, or maybe it was just luck.

I know you want the stainless target and I doubt they had that one on display or in stock at the store.

I'm waiting for my exchange right now and it will probably be 10 days to two weeks because I told them not to rush the exchange and to look through their stock this time a little better.

So did'ja ... or didn'cha ?
Old April 22, 2010, 02:13 AM   #38
azsixgun

Oh, I pulled the trigger and brought it home with me! The price was too good to pass up, even though what I'd really like is a stainless Uberti (acutally was just wanting a standard rear sight and Uberti brand for the dovetailed front sight for windage adjustment).

They had box marked stainless steel 1858 and the price read $199! When I asked about the price, he said it was for something else, but I asked to have a look anyway. It turned out to be a 5 1/2" barrel and I was looking for a full size. I gave it a brief once over and it looked nicely finished.

After seeing that stainless revolver, I do ache for what I really wanted. The ss Uberti would be $369 (w/shipping), while this blued Pietta was about $176 - less than half of the Uberti.

What I need to do is peddle this on Gunbroker for $250 (along with all of the other overpriced NIB Piettas), then buy what I really want!

I'm hoping DWG is taking their time (this time), looking things over and making a nice selection for you!
Old April 22, 2010, 03:02 AM   #39
CajunPowder

resell - upsell

azsixgun:

You could tweak it a bit and document that with some pictures and that will give you a chance to learn or relearn about how to do that.

And with a polished, (stoned), action and such it would then certainly fetch a profit.

My next purchase after the SS will be a forged frame Uberti more than likely and I do REALLY want the 5 1/2 inch.

I'm glad you got one, it's great to have some metal to look at and hold after you've been wanting one.

And best of all, you could always return it!
Old April 22, 2010, 11:53 AM   #40
azsixgun

CajunPowder, you bring up a good point about the forged frame. Do you know for certain that the Pietta has a cast frame? Does that go for the stainless frame as well?

This Pietta would certainly benefit from stoning the internal parts. Just looking at the exposed portion of the hand, it looks like it's been smoothed with a rough file.
Old April 22, 2010, 12:19 PM   #41
arcticap

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsixgun
Do you know for certain that the Pietta has a cast frame? Does that go for the stainless frame as well?
Pietta doesn't claim to make any forged C&B frames from stainless or otherwise, nor does Ruger for that matter. So I think that it's safe to say that Pietta doesn't make a forged C&B revolver frame yet.
AFAIK Uberti only started forging their frames relatively recently, maybe as a result of them being bought out by Beretta which made it more economically feasible.

Uberti's forged frame was an interesting topic of previous discussions:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...ghlight=forged

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...ghlight=forged

Last edited by arcticap; April 22, 2010 at 12:36 PM.
Old April 22, 2010, 05:38 PM   #42
azsixgun

I forgot to mention, the Pietta that I picked up at Cabela's shows a manufacture date of 2010 - mfg code: CF.
Old April 22, 2010, 07:21 PM   #43
CajunPowder

Uberti forged frame

azsixgun and articap:

As of the last week I have been directing most of my research into the area of forged frame Uberti 1858 New Army models in blue. There is very little anecdotal evidence as to this and that ... in comparisons.

From what I gather, the first forged frame Uberti's in the blue hit the shelves in late 2007 and early 2008.

One thing for sure, IMHO, is that the forged frame 1858 New Army in blue with 8" barrel is being produced somewhat specifically to meet a market demand for conversions. Supposedly, the cylinder window in the frame is just a little larger. There has been some discussion about the bolt not being long enough and the need to fit some conversions like the newest version of the Kirst backplate to the smaller frame window opening of the earlier cast frame models.

So there is some good reading out there as articap has pointed out.

I think there is a market for Pietta's that are tuned up and finished.

I think that if some enterprising person with time on their hands bought 100 Pietta at wholesale and spent some time tuning them and then sold them on gunbroker and established a reputation for doing the basic tuning they could make some money.

Make a little video of the process when you get really good at it and have all your steps laid out ... make some pictures, talk it up on a few discussion sites and you'd have a reputation to then auction your pieces. Shoot some targets, etc ...

There is certainly a need for some finishing and tuning of Pietta as well as Uberti.

Look at Cimmaron, how they base part of their reputation on having their pieces a little more finished at the factory, (double-polished before bluing), and perhaps even some more quality control on both sides of the import-export equation.

If one could only build a reputation for tuning Pietta, and fitting conversion cylinders, I think you could do a little side business, but you'd have to buy pieces wholesale and in bulk to really make any money. Just sayin' and thinkin'.
Old April 22, 2010, 08:15 PM   #44
Hawg

Pietta got new CNC machinery around 2000 so would think their frames would be forged not cast. Mine doesn't appear to be cast.
Old April 22, 2010, 10:15 PM   #45
Hardcase

Reading a bit in this thread:

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/ind...c,13088.0.html

At around the third page, Alessandro Pietta says that the 1858s have cast frames. This was in 2007.

Quote:
Q: Are the frames on the 1858's hammer forged? Thanks.

A: they are casting.... and this can garantee you the good quality of the material.
A cast frame can be further machined. In that case, I'm not sure how you'd tell if it was cast or forged. But given the conditions under which we use these guns, it seems to me that as long as the parts are good quality castings, there should be no problems.

EDIT: The 1873 revolvers are drop forged and machined, FWIW.
Old April 23, 2010, 12:17 AM   #46
azsixgun

Arcticap, those are some interesting links! CaptainCrossman first states that the cast Pietta frames are brittle and break when flexed. Then later, he posts a picture of a blown up 1858 that he states had a cast frame. The frame stretched and flexed rather than shattering. I think he disproved his own strong statement about cast frames!

My experience has been with quality cast 1911 parts, which can be very reliable. EGW uses a cast slide stop. That part takes a real beating; the owner of the company told me they hadn't had any failures. What do I know, it works for me like he said it would...
Old April 24, 2010, 01:16 PM   #47
zippy13

My neighbor's sale priced SS Remington '58 arrived yesterday from Cabelas. Any significant improvements in Pietta quality from my older one (SN R 39x,xxx vs R 25x,xxx) weren't readily apparent.

The new one has a poorer fitting grip, the front sight is out of plumb, and his cylinder gap is twice mine. The window in the frame is longer resulting in a lot of exposed barrel threads and the ram plunger.

On the positive side: It seems well timed, the safety notches will properly engage without any reworking, and there are fewer rough file marks on the surfaces facing the cylinder.
Old April 24, 2010, 09:43 PM   #48
CajunPowder

Return for Exchange and Raising Cane ... or not ...

zippy13:

Thank you for the quality report. It sounds like what you got is just a little better than the first swing I took in this game with a stainless standard 1858 Pietta from Cabela's.

Just because I am in that kind of mood I would send it back for exchange and raise a little Kane.

Cabela's has that nice return label in the box and they say they will debit your account for $7.00 on that label, but they actually take out $7.50.

If you complain hard enough like I did, you can even get them to cover that return shipping. And of course they cover the shipping for the exchange.

You know the lingo, so you could talk to CS and get a good exchange.

If you would like, feel free to post pictures and commentary on that Pietta stainless steel you got from Cabela's in my Uberti quest for positive lock thread.

There's no need to keep it ya know, but I know that some of you treat them as though they are injured baby birds and nurse them back to health and that's kinda cool.
Old April 25, 2010, 12:12 AM   #49
zippy13

CajunPower,

My neighbor bought the revolver because he really enjoyed shooting mine, and he wanted one just like my R-1885 or ROA. A new ROA was out of the question and I almost had him convinced to get an Umberti R-1885, but the Cabelas sale price was too appealing.

I mentioned to my neighbor that had the gun been sent to me, I'd return it. I even told him that I'd had to return my first one several years ago. And, as you mentioned, Cabelas provides return labels. To my surprise, he replied with, "It okay -- I'll keep it -- you're just too fussy about your guns." -- end of discussion.

How many other guys have that attitude? As long as there folks who don't seem to give a hoot about the condition of their guns, why should the mfg change his ways? The retailer can always do a swap -- that may be easier than tightening-up quality control.
Old April 25, 2010, 02:13 AM   #50
CajunPowder

The honor, the advantage

Most good and humble men believe it is an honor to own a device that can defend themselves, find food when the earth provides none, slay the beast that would slay you.

And there are other men that in knowing this would profit from that humility.

That is one of the many reasons why we must maintain that freedom.

I think the watching of "The Patriot" reminded me of so many things that I should never for a moment forget.