The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 1, 2009, 02:55 PM   #1
Glenner

Tumbling Primed Brass???

Is it OK to tumble primed 308 brass? I've got a pile that was primed long ago, and has sat for years. So, it looks bad! I suspect the answer is no. I also think you guys will tell me to load it and tumble it after it's loaded.
I appreciate any help I can get!!!
THANK YOU ! ! !
Old August 1, 2009, 03:06 PM   #2
Dannyl

I would worry about flash holes getting blocked

Hi,
I would not do it.
Whenever I tumble (Unprimed) rifle cases I notice small pieces of media (crushed corn cob) getting stuck in the flash-holes.
I clear them with a sharpened screw-driver.

I only prime them when I am about to load, so I have never needed to clean or shine cases that are already primed.

My concern in your case would be that a piece will lodge inside the case, and I personally would not want to fiddle with a sharp tool (or anything else, for what it matters )working against a live primer.

I have read in TFL that many people tumble live rounds, but have never done it myself.

My advice is that if the brass is clean enough to chamber (even if it does not shine and look pretty) then rather load them and once you have shot them you can get them all shiny again.

Brgds,

Danny
Old August 1, 2009, 05:14 PM   #3
Sport45

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend tumbling primed brass if you really think it needs it. The fleck of walnut or cob that might get stuck in the flash hole won't cause any trouble at all. When I tumble unprimed brass I blow those flecks out with 50psi compressed air and a primer has much more power than that.
Old August 1, 2009, 05:31 PM   #4
Lavid2002

just load them up then tumble them. Then you dont worry about the flash hole, the primers will be fine.
Old August 1, 2009, 06:52 PM   #5
Russ5924

I did about 500 a month or so ago. Was .45 I had primed and forgot about they were well tarnished after sitting about 4 years. I ran them about two hours with no problem and came out nice and clean After that I ran some other .38 and they were OK
Old August 1, 2009, 08:31 PM   #6
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavid2002
just load them up then tumble them. Then you dont worry about the flash hole, the primers will be fine.
I'm in agreement with Lavid. The possibility of media getting clogged against the primer inside the case isn't my idea of dealing with a proper load.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old August 1, 2009, 09:30 PM   #7
snuffy

Lookit this! 1000 posts!

Anyway, I once did a test,(concerning whether plugged flash holes caused a problem), that I posted over on that other forum, the one that made me mad enough to quit posting there!

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=367827

Conclusion was that it made little difference, but it DID make for a larger group, at least in this test.

The primer WILL push that chunk of tumbler media out of the way, but something happens to the flame when it does.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old August 1, 2009, 10:15 PM   #8
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quote:
Conclusion was that it made little difference, but it DID make for a larger group, at least in this test.
And that's my take on not being able to make proper loads. I read that link and it was quite the finding. I'm no expert in the field of reloading, but I think you're on to something regarding the disruption of the flame-front of the primer.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old August 2, 2009, 07:28 PM   #9
Ozzieman

Ok, are we talking old dirty medium or clean new or some where in-between?
Never mind doesn’t really mater,,,, to me tumbling primed cases would be like changing the oil in the car with the motor running. Might work out,,, but why take the chances… load then clean them.
Old August 2, 2009, 07:59 PM   #10
jepp2

I recently tumbled 1200 rounds of primed brass. To prevent any media getting caught in the flash hole, I used new Harbor Freight "fine" crushed walnut hulls blasting media. Even in unprimed cases, no media EVER gets caught in the flash hole.

When I tried corncob and larger sizes of walnut, some media always got caught in the flash hole, and I wouldn't want any trapped in front of the primer.