The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 2, 2008, 02:25 PM   #1
surg_res

Browning A-5 Will Not Cycle

I went hunting with an A-5 12ga chambered for 3" this morning and the action will not cycle. I was shooting dove with 2-3/4" shells, but after firing the gun, the next round will not load. Further, the bolt locks up (in closed position) for about 10 seconds before it can be manually cycled.

I bought this gun as part of an estate collection--and dumped my Beretta 390 b/c the A-5 is nicer (I should have shot it first ). The action cycles fine by hand when empty, but is a little sticky b/c of some grime build up in that impossible-to-reach area behind the bolt. Nevertheless, why is the bolt freezing with the spend case in the receiver after firing? Please let me know if this is something I can fix, or an ammo problem. I'm about to step out back and try some 3" to see if that helps. Thanks!
Old September 2, 2008, 02:43 PM   #2
10-96

My A5 and Rem 11 both like to be clean. Yours may have seen years of cleaning with WD40 or something that will goo up over time. Go to the Browning web site, or check on line for sound disassembly / reassembly instructions-- ALSO, there is a compression ring system in there that can be adjusted for heavy or light loads. Google that as well. I don't think I could explain that as well as pictures could show it. So, get it clean, or have it cleaned- then change your compression ring and see if that don't cure your woes.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old September 2, 2008, 03:07 PM   #3
crowbeaner

Make sure the friction ring is in the proper position for light loads. It has to be right or the gun won't cycle with mousefart trap loads. I have a Light Twelve, not a Magnum, and with the 1100 fps. loads or the light 7/8 oz loads it will not cycle properly unless the friction ring is in the proper position. The A5 is RECOIL operated, not gas, and the ammo has to generate the correct amount of force for the gun to function properly. Clean the action as well as the magazine tube and don't lube the friction ring; it has to grip the magazine tube slightly. I use Remoil on mine; don't overlube it; a drop or two at most is sufficient. Stick to 1200 fps. 1 1/8 oz. loads and it should work fine.

Jeff Mulliken can give you more information on your gun; he knows more about A5s than Browning does.
Old September 2, 2008, 04:18 PM   #4
surg_res

That did the trick! Not only were both bronze rings on, but the arrangement with the support rings was all out of order. I've never really taken the gun apart and didn't realize that the recoil drives the barrel into the action--I found that amazing. Anyhow, I didn't need lube, just a single bronze ring.

Functions flawlessly, gunk behind the bolt and all, thanks for the information!
Old September 2, 2008, 04:38 PM   #5
Jeff Mulliken

A couple of additional points....

The Auto-5 Magnum was introduced in 1958 was made to shoot 1 1/4 AND LARGER loads. It was never intended to shoot light loads. It is possible to get it to shoot lighter loads but it takes a little effort.

You already discovered that the friction rings are there for a reason and setting them up right is the first thing to do. The rings reduce the perceived recoil that reaches your shoulder so use them on the heavy settings unless the gun wont cycle then go light.

Second, you described another issue that is pretty common on Auto-5's.....clingy chambers, particularly with cheap promo loads that have steel bases on the hulls (many are plated to hide the steel and make them look like brass)

Anyway, the heads expand when fired and do not contract like real brass, that combined with the Auto-5's tendancy to have "clingy" chambers and the hulls stick, seeming to freeze the bolt to the chamber.

Fix this by wrapping a chamber brush with 0000 steel wool, chuck the brush in a drill, add a little bore cleaner and polish the sh1t out of the chamber. Do this now and again and an Auto-5 will throw empty hulls into the next county.

Last, it is a little surprising that you bought this gun with no understanding of how the long recoil action worked...but congratulations. You now own one of the most innovative and successful shotgun designs ever made. It was in continuous production from 1903 to 1997 with no substantial change to the design. Enjoy it.

Fun picture...a 1903 (basketcase), 1904 and 1906 guns to compare yours to. The most noticable difference is the straight stock.

Crow, thanks for the kind words....

Jeff
Old September 2, 2008, 08:34 PM   #6
surg_res

Quote:
Last, it is a little surprising that you bought this gun with no understanding of how the long recoil action worked...but congratulations.
Yeah, I jumped into a 15 gun estate purchase and didn't look back (I was mostly interested in the 1911 and WWII rifles). I probably broke even on the whole thing but learned a lot about the guns I purchased. The only 2 guns I kept were a colt 1911 and the browning A-5. The A-5 is an amazing creation and I've enjoyed looking at it, was bothered that I couldn't, with any sanity, take it apart--but today was my first chance to shoot it in almost 2 years. Nevertheless, I sure am glad I got it to function well. I've been hunting for years, but it adds such character to a hunt with such an interesting machine.

Anyhow, thanks again for the information.
Old September 2, 2008, 08:41 PM   #7
Jeff Mulliken

The Colt .45 and Auto-5 both have John Moses Browning in thier ancestry....

Here is a link on A5 dismantling that you might be able to use, though the pictures are FUBAR.

http://www.refugeforums.com/refuge/s...threadid=69850

Jeff
Old September 17, 2008, 05:50 PM   #8
dandydany

tricking your recoil op. shotgun

Just like you , I bought a recoil operated 20 ga Franchi AL-48. Based on the same A-5 design with some improvements, I had the 28" barrel cut down to 18 1/2" and , by removing the recoil pad, had some lead installed in the cavity, making sure that you still have access to the bolt head . This allows you to shoot from the hip or without holding the gun real tight and shooting light loads without adjusting the rings. It works very well and absorbs recoil pleasantly.Thought to tell you a trick or two. Gun is still accurate and patterns good to 40 yards. Something to think about...I was told also to keep the action clean and DRY, no lubing of any kind. That's about all I got.
Old September 19, 2008, 07:19 AM   #9
grousehunter49

A-5

I glad you appreceate your A-5, I had a newe one years ago, wish I had kept it, most interesting auto in the world made by a genius.