The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 21, 2007, 09:11 PM   #1
Old No7

"Cowboy" Sling for Marlin Cowboy

Hello all, a new member here! Been lurking for awhile. but I thought I'd post this for other Cowboy or Marlin owners who might want something a little different for a hunting/carry sling. I picked up a nice used Marlin 336 Cowboy Ltd in .38-55 just a week ago and learned today that she shoots the Winch silver box ammo really well -- once you get past the $1.50 PER SHOT shocker that is! Yikes!!! (I will reload JSP's for her later, but the Maine deer season opens in less than a week -- gotta get ready!)

Anyway, with my dreams of tagging & dragging a big buck, I figured I'd better have a handy way to carry my Cowboy out of the woods too, but I just couldn't bring myself to strap a nylon sling on it. An old-style leather sling seemed like the right approach for a Cowboy hunting rifle, but all the shops I checked had the nice "new" ones. Hmmm... Then I remembered I had once modified an old T/C Muzzleloader sling to accept a rear sling swivel and use a simple loop on the front. The loop slipped over the front of the barrel of my .45 Cherokee and the rear loop was attached to a QD sling swivel. (OK, I know, the QD swivel isn't 1800's or "old", but it is an effective way to attach the rear of the sling securely.) The length of the sling was adjusted "just right" so it wouldn't slip off the barrel, and you could easily carry the gun on your shoulder or use it as a hasty sling to steady a shot.

Getting back to the Marlin... I had planned to add QD swivel bases to my Cowboy anyhow, but I hadn't gotten around to selecting between a clamp-on front swivel base or having the fore-end cap drilled & tapped for a threaded QD stud. Plus, I only had less than a week to get this all done. Then I remembered that I had the old T/C leather sling, so I installed the rear QD stud only -- and here she is -- all set up for huntin'!

I really like the way this soft old leather & lace sling looks on the 'ol girl -- now we just need to make some meat!

Front view

Rear view

Side view

And didn't "Bob" my bobcat do a nice job of holding the Marlin?!?! (Of course, he still isn't happy with my Triple Deuce -- he HATES that one!!!)

Tight groups to all, and happy (and safe) huntin'!

Old No7
Old October 22, 2007, 08:58 AM   #2
CraigC

Looks good! Those are great rifles, I wish I had gotten one back when they were more common. When you start reloading for it, the .38/55 just begs for cast bullets.