The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 12, 2012, 10:14 PM   #1
grubbylabs

I drank the coolaid

Well it started out innocent enough. A friend (my boss) is interested in getting an AR-15 so I started poking around since he has a good friend that says he can build a decent bare bones one for about 700. So I stated to look around to see what a person could buy for that.

Low and behold I found a "California" version from Smith and Wesson. I am still not sure of all the differences or what I am missing out on since I could have bought a non California gun, but it was a Del Ton and would have been at least 130 more than what I paid for the Smith. Plus I still would have had to buy a sight.

I hope to be able to shoot it in the morning before work. We have a plentiful supply of rabbits at the wrecking yard, I might get lucky and see one.

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)
Old November 12, 2012, 11:58 PM   #2
allaroundhunter

Well...you are missing out on a good bit to be honest.

You will most likely have a pinned stock and/or a bullet button that makes it much more difficult and time consuming to change magazines.

Thankfully, you aren't limited to just 10 round magazines, too...

Now, the good thing is that you *should* be able to remove the bullet button and replace it with a normal magazine release. And if you want to possibly replace a stock if it has been pinned in place (I am not 100% sure though).
Old November 13, 2012, 12:13 AM   #3
grubbylabs

So far I am not too worried about being able to do a speedy magazine change or adjust the stock, the gun is just for fun. The biggest reason I bought it is that prices are starting to rise and I have a bad feeling that our right to own them could be threatened. I would not be surprised to see our gutless Republican congress concede some gun rights to preserve tax breaks or other budget deals. Basically it was the least expensive one I could find already built. I know its going to be missing some options that some think are necessary but I am not yet convinced they are all needed.

(Capt Charlie)
Old November 13, 2012, 12:17 AM   #4
allaroundhunter

Well, if things go the way some are worried about, you might just make a very pretty penny selling that gun to CA residents.

Enough to even make a step up in the AR manufacturer world if you want to.
Old November 13, 2012, 12:20 AM   #5
Metal god

Yep you should have a bullet button on there . That meens you need a small pointed tool or a bullet to push the mag release . The stock should not be pinned . The bullet button allows people in CA to have all the other cool stuff flash hider , collapsible stocks , forward grips etc . Im not completely sure but I think the bullet button must be permanet to be legal . I believe that meens they use locktite or some other permanent thread lock . You will need to heat the bolt/nut up with a soldering iron to loosen the thead lock . Try to remove it with out heat first . I have a Del-Ton 316 for CA . I'll go see if mine is permanent .

EDIT : yep it has some type of thread lock on there . No way I can turn that little nut . As for the gun it self I love mine It works very well and I been running it pretty hard as of late . I also used a Del-Ton upper to build an AR and it's working great as well . You did not make a bad choice . Maybe on the CA version but not on the gun it self .

Can you release the mag with just your finger ? if so you do not have the bullet button .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; November 13, 2012 at 12:38 AM.
Old November 13, 2012, 12:30 AM   #6
grubbylabs

There is a rather large button to release the mag, so it must not be the bullet button.

The stock has an allen bolt going through the adjuster but when removed it does not slide. Again I am not worried about it not being able to adjust the stock, I like it where it is at and do not see any reason for my self to have it adjustable.

So might this not be a "California" version, could it just be a "economy" model, fewer popular options to cut down on cost?

(Capt Charlie)
Old November 13, 2012, 12:36 AM   #7
Quentin2

If you bought it in an Idaho gun shop it shouldn't be CA compliant. Does it have a bayonet lug and a screw-on flash hider? I assume it's the S&W Sport? You might want to have your boss's friend look at it as far as compliance.
Old November 13, 2012, 12:36 AM   #8
allaroundhunter

If the adjustable stock does not move then it is the CA model. The bullet button still has the large mag release, but you have to use a small tip to actually depress it.

Perhaps you did just purchase the Sport and will find out soon that the stock will actually move

Either way, the Sport is a fine rifle, and you will be pleased!
Old November 13, 2012, 12:41 AM   #9
grubbylabs

simply pressing the button drops the mag with almost no effort.

(Capt Charlie)
Old November 13, 2012, 12:46 AM   #10
allaroundhunter

Does it have the standard AR pistol grip?
Old November 13, 2012, 12:49 AM   #11
Metal god

It sounds more like a N.Y. legal AR . Fixed stock , most likely has the flash hider pinned and no bayonet lug . That is also more like the original federal AWB specs .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old November 13, 2012, 12:50 AM   #12
allaroundhunter

A picture would fix all of this very quickly
Old November 13, 2012, 12:51 AM   #13
Metal god

LOL yep

Old November 13, 2012, 01:19 AM   #14
chris in va

The regular Sport runs about $650. I don't know why someone would sell a CA compliant Sport for $50 more.
Old November 13, 2012, 08:47 AM   #15
grubbylabs

If I have time at work I will post some pics but it does not have a threaded muzzle, just a clean smooth barrel all the way to the end. In fact it almost looks like a bull barrel but it is a little to skinny.

(Capt Charlie)
Old November 13, 2012, 10:35 AM   #16
grubbylabs

Well here are some pics hope this helps you out. I found on the box where a store tag said sport on it. It shoots nice I was only able pop off a few rounds but I should be able to put some more through it this week end.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0353.jpg (65.4 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0352.jpg (79.9 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0351.jpg (70.1 KB, 47 views)

(Capt Charlie)
Old November 13, 2012, 11:14 AM   #17
Metal god

looks good your going to have alot of fun with that . It apears to be a model from the orirgial federal AWB . It should do the job quite well and with no flash hider on there it will be fun to shoot at night( BIG flame out the front ) .I don't know why I thought you bought a del-ton I clearly misread something .

Old November 13, 2012, 01:37 PM   #18
grubbylabs

they had a Del Ton but it was for 700 something closer to the 800 mark. Plus I would have had to get a sight for it. Either way with many of the local gun shops increasing prices along with the sales increase I could not let it sit there. I think they are going to go through the roof in my area for a while. Its even getting local media attention which is kinda sad.

(Capt Charlie)
Old November 14, 2012, 03:02 PM   #19
Bart Noir

That gun is a "compliant" version... (Anybody else think "compliant" sounds like it belongs on another sort of forum? )

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y

It certainly has a built-in trigger guard, while the earlier M&P15 models had a separate trigger guard just like the M16. I bought the first M&P15 Tactical I found here in the Seattle area and have put on the MagPul trigger guard. The .22 rimfire and "compliant" versions seem to have the solid built-in trigger guard. Interesting.

Makes me wonder if S&W is switching them all over to the built-in trigger guard.

Bart Noir
Old November 14, 2012, 03:17 PM   #20
JimDandy

Just as a veer here, where in Seattle do you shoot Bart? I've shot some at Kenmore, pistol at Wade's on the east side, and just recently went down to Tacoma Sportsman's club while carpooling on an all day trip with my brother.. he had morning stuff, I had evening/shopping stuff, so I shot while he worked, then we both went to Cabelas
Old November 14, 2012, 10:55 PM   #21
grubbylabs

Is there a way to un pin the stock or would it be easier to just get the adjustable stock. I would like for my wife to be able to shoot it as well.

(Capt Charlie)
Old November 14, 2012, 11:50 PM   #22
Metal god

If the stock is pinned it's likely the castle nut is staked as well . See picture it's the lttle dimple/dot in the notch of the casle nut . If yours is staked you will need to grind/file that away to unscrew the nut . If you can just remove the pin by punch or by unscrewing it .that would be best , you should then be able to remove the old one and slide on the new one or even keep the same one on there . It then should be Collapsible the way it was designed

Old November 15, 2012, 12:03 AM   #23
grubbylabs

Ya that's not enough to slow me down I can get past those dimples. I am just not sure how the locking mechanism works for the adjusting stock and if I can make it work on what I have or if it would just be less hassle to get one meant to adjust.

(Capt Charlie)
Old November 15, 2012, 12:29 AM   #24
Metal god

Once the stock is no longer pinned . You just pull on the lever that alows you to collaps the stock and pull it off . If you talking about removing the buffer tube and replacing everything here's a video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7ulYJN6OCo

Old November 15, 2012, 11:18 AM   #25
grubbylabs

There is an allen bolt that goes though the adjuster lever. So there is no locking mechanism on it.

(Capt Charlie)