The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 3, 2008, 05:08 PM   #1
Pathfinder45

.32 Winchester Special

Anybody here got some favorite recipes for .32 WINCHESTER SPECIAL? Are there any must-read threads on this subject?
Old December 3, 2008, 11:52 PM   #2
Loader9

Your post brought a question in my mine- how many do I own? The answer is too many. From Marlins, unfired Marlins, to Winchester takedowns that look like new but are about 100 years old. Anyway, I use the accuracy load from Lymans manual which is 28.0 grs Reloader 7. By the book, it gets you right at 2100'ps and is the lowest load for RE7. For a max load 31.0 grs is it. All of mine like the load and it feels right. It also shoots on the sights with factory ammo which is a plus to me. I guess I should get them out and blow some of the dust out of the barrels.
Old December 3, 2008, 11:53 PM   #3
jdowney

Can't help you there, but how strange, I was looking for the same thing on the same day! Wouldn't be strange if it were .308 I guess.

I haven't sorted through threads yet, but did come across this page:
http://www.levergun.com/articles/special.htm

Maybe you've seen it already, it was on the first google page. Pretty good article I'd say.

So what are you shooting? Mine's a 1951 model 94 that I traded an almost complete, rusty, dis-assembled model 86 for when I was in college.
Old December 4, 2008, 07:12 PM   #4
boltgun71

I load 34.7gr of IMR-4064 in a Winchester case under a Hornady 170gr FP bullet and CCI large rifle primer. It shoots great in my pre-64 Winchester 94. I have a target from the range a few weeks ago where it shot a 1 1/4" 3 shot group at 50yds with its standard iron sights from the prone position, I'm happy with that.