The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 20, 2014, 06:55 PM   #1
zanemoseley

Issues with .308 Federal brass.

I started reloading .308's for my step-dad and bought an assortment of brass including some Lake City, Federal, Winchester XXX and others. I got the Lee trimmer you fit on a drill and a deburr tool I can use while I have the brass chucked up in the drill. I did the Lake City and Winchester brass first and the trimmer worked like a charm. When I got to the Federal the trimmer is super tight in the mouth of the case to the point its hard to hold onto the trimmer. I had no issue with the others especially at low RPM's. All the brass was already resized with the same RCBS resizing die. I've heard that Federal brass expands and stretches worse than other brands but can't figure out whey its trimming so difficult. I'm thinking of just selling it.
Old November 20, 2014, 07:40 PM   #2
Bart B.

Did the sizing die have an expander ball in it?
Old November 20, 2014, 07:58 PM   #3
zanemoseley

Yeah I'm pretty sure the rcbs die has a neck sizing section.
Old November 20, 2014, 08:55 PM   #4
std7mag

We are using the Lee Collet dies for 7mm-08, and 308.

We have found that we need to trim the Federal casings much more than other brands.

When I say much more, I mean more often, and more material is taken off.
Old November 21, 2014, 07:24 AM   #5
hdbiker

Federal brass

I've had no problems with Federal rifle brass,but Federal .45apc pistol brass yes.The extractor grove in the brass has the rim thinner and useing that same Lee trim setup,will trim my brass too short unless I hold back a little. hdbiker
Old November 21, 2014, 02:38 PM   #6
cw308

I use Federal FC Brass, the brass is thicker then Remington & Winchester. Just remember to when reloading drop the listed charge by 1. grain, I never had a problem with federal, I reload at the lower end of the listed charge. Getting 25 reloads an the average out of the brass. I F/L with .001 headspace.
Old November 21, 2014, 04:31 PM   #7
condor bravo

Federal brass is usually heavier than others so you are jist encountering thicker brass at the neck and overall. My preference is the Federal.