The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old October 3, 2011, 08:53 PM   #1
80viking

What type of electronic sight for my 1911?

What type of electronic sight is the easiest to pick up (or hardest to lose) while competing with a handgun?

I have been using an old Tasco 30mm red dot and am tired of losing because I can't find the dot after a reload.

It looks like my choices are a red dot scope (like what I have but bigger), a reflex red dot sight, or a holographic sight.

Thanks.........John
Old October 4, 2011, 03:30 PM   #2
g.willikers

It sounds like you just can take the cheap way.
Practice reloads, so the gun isn't cockeyed and the dot doesn't go to left field.
I have three different types of dot scopes, including one like yours.
If I'm sloppy with the gun, the dot disappears with them all.
Probably one of the best things about using a dot scope is that it forces good technique, or they are no help at all.
Now see how much money you just saved.
Old October 9, 2011, 09:20 AM   #3
Hunter Customs

Quote:
What type of electronic sight for my 1911?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What type of electronic sight is the easiest to pick up (or hardest to lose) while competing with a handgun?

I have been using an old Tasco 30mm red dot and am tired of losing because I can't find the dot after a reload.

It looks like my choices are a red dot scope (like what I have but bigger), a reflex red dot sight, or a holographic sight.

Thanks.........John
John,
I've used several different types of reddot sight systems for different types of competition.
I've found the old Tasco PD4 and PD5 to be the fastest as for aquiring the reddot.
The second best system I've tried is the low mount Doctor sight mounted directly to the slide.
One of the worst for me was the C-More, especially if it was required to switch to weak hand shooting.
A friend of mine also had the same trouble with the C-More, he called his the C-Less sight.
Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old October 16, 2011, 10:45 PM   #4
80viking

Thank you very much for the replies.

I picked up a 42mm Tasco Pro Point w/ red or green dot and got to use it today. Problem solved, this made a huge difference. Now, the only thing that could make it any better would be an arched mainspring housing so it points better.