The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old June 14, 2015, 11:28 AM   #26
bandaid1

Tahoe2, the only thing that I can think of that would meet the requirements you listed would be the 300 blackout aka 7.62 x 35mm IMO. There may be others that would also work but that's my best advice. With the blackout, you can use the standard 5.56 magazine and bolt of the AR15 in 5.56 with the blackout. The bullet uses 221 Fireball/.223 Rem rimless case. The bullet diameter is 0.308 in (7.8 mm), so it exceeds your minimum legal requirement.

However, like every firearm, there are limitations. The 300Blackout is not a long range round. At 200yards the round drops about 3.5 inches, at 300yard it drops around 8 inches. The max effective range is around 400 yards and the bullet is dropping about 2 feet. There are always trade offs. As a hunter, If you're making most of your shots at 150-200 yards, then its a great choice IMO.

I was in the same dilemma as you are about ten years ago. I went with the 6.8spc since it meet my needs at that time (Hogs and Deer). Yes you can use standard 5.56 magazines (loading 5 rounds) for hunting, (you cannot load them to full capacity, because they bulge), but I do have to change the bolt. Good luck with your choice.

Hooyah
Old June 20, 2015, 10:34 AM   #27
tahoe2

Thanks bandaid, 200-250 yards is more than likely the farthest I will ever shoot in my hunting area. Typically between 70-120 yards, I also don't just shoot at the bench, once I bench test, the rest of my practice is in the field from real world positions; up hill, downhill, kneeling, off hand, etc...
Old July 3, 2015, 04:12 PM   #28
greentick

OP, just adding the 277 Wolverine to my line up. There are a couple of ammo manufacturers, if you are still interested:

http://www.jbsfirearms.com/category-s/1831.htm

http://www.midsouthmunitions.com/category-s/1834.htm

If you want to reload but not make your own brass:

http://www.jbsfirearms.com/category-s/1818.htm

I plan on just shooting sub-sup initially with mine, loading the JB brass(which comes ready to load) with 150gr pulls from RMR on my 550B with a combo of 556 and 68 reloading equipment because I'm cheap. When I need to reload that brass I'll spring for some 277WLV dies.

I also have a couple of 6.8s, there is nothing finicky about the guns or mags. I use ARP barrel/bolt and ASC 25 and 5rd mags.