The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old May 25, 2010, 04:56 PM   #1
38special

socom 16 for $950

at the gun shop today and their on the rack was a virtually new M1A socom 16
couldn't resist what seemed like an awfully good price but if anyone thinks different id like to hear wut u have to say.

i have a standard m1A, thought this would be a good mate even though its a short barrel i hear their good to 800 yds?
thanks for your opinions.
Old May 25, 2010, 05:23 PM   #2
cwb

thats a great deal! you need to buy it now or at least put some money down on it.

i had one but sold it when times were tuff
Old May 25, 2010, 05:24 PM   #3
horseman308

My typical response to such prices is generally to ask "what's wrong with this one?" If the answer is either a) nothing I can't fix for less than the price of a new one; or b) nothing that bothers me....

then go for it. I'd rather have a scout with the 18" barrel than the 16" SOCOM, but if you've already got a standard, then the SOCOM could be the way to go.
Old May 25, 2010, 06:09 PM   #4
AK103K

Quote:
i hear their good to 800 yds
Not with the factory iron sights. They are a chore at 75-100, especially on smaller targets.

I've had M1A's in all three lengths, and still have my NM standard rifle. The SOCOM was cool and all, but it, and the Bush/Scout models really are not any lighter, and only somewhat handier than the full size, and you just give up some power, and gain some more muzzle blast with the shorter barrels.
Old May 25, 2010, 06:39 PM   #5
38special

Quote:
My typical response to such prices is generally to ask "what's wrong with this one?" If the answer is either a) nothing I can't fix for less than the price of a new one; or b) nothing that bothers me....
i inspeccted it pretty damn close id say it was never fired after it left the factory, im in detroit and the whole city is broke it's unbelievable.
the last 12 months ive bought several guns from this shop, and they do give me good deals, just wanted to confirm this one.
as an example i have purchased the following before tax pricing:
Armalite AR10 A2 $893.00
mini 30 optics & mags $480.00
Kimber combat carry 45acp 4" $600
colt trooper mark V 357 $395

as usual thanks for your input, i did put $$$ down on her I'll post pix when i get her.
Old May 26, 2010, 05:26 AM   #6
wayne in boca

It wouldn't matter if it was broken in half.Springfield Armory has a lifetime warranty on every weapon they selll,and they actually honor it with a smile.Buy it now,that is about half what I see them going for lately.
Old May 26, 2010, 06:29 AM   #7
horseman308

Glad to hear you went for it. I know the story here in SE Michigan. It's nice to know people are supporting our local gunshops.
Old May 26, 2010, 01:58 PM   #8
rockhouse

Be sure and warranty it. My SOC16 was the biggest POS rifle i've ever owned. Hopefully yours is better.
Old May 26, 2010, 05:54 PM   #9
zombieslayer

Good eye and congrats on the new rifle. Dang... Real estate and guns are goin cheap up there, too bad its way up north.
Old May 26, 2010, 06:02 PM   #10
johnwilliamson062

Shoot man, that would be worth the drive from Dayton Ohio!!!
Old May 26, 2010, 10:34 PM   #11
Bosshoff

Rockhouse, great 14th post.:barf: Explain, or pipe down. Should I even get into the round of questioning, why, did you send it in, what did they say/do? Instead I'm calling you out to explain.

38special, FYI, I trust my SOCOM 16 more that my SEI LRB M14NM. It has never missed a beat.
Old May 27, 2010, 08:36 AM   #12
rockhouse

Here ya go. The thread got locked. I can understand why some would become irritated by my thread, but imagine my irritation after hearing so much praise on the M1A then getting burned by buying a $2000 POS.
My worst rifle ever...

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...g+on+the+soc16
Old May 27, 2010, 09:41 AM   #13
demigod

Quote:
It wouldn't matter if it was broken in half.Springfield Armory has a lifetime warranty on every weapon they selll,and they actually honor it with a smile.Buy it now,that is about half what I see them going for lately.

He'll probably end up needing the warantee. EVERY SA M1 rifle I've seen at the range has had functional issues or some broken small metal part on it.
Old May 27, 2010, 09:52 AM   #14
Beentown71

^^^^says the SA hater. Mine hasn't skipped a beat. No need to hate. I like Glocks, Cetme, Norincos, and fill in the blank.

Quote:
He'll probably end up needing the warantee. EVERY SA M1 rifle I've seen at the range has had functional issues or some broken small metal part on it.
I have owned 4 at different times and never had a hiccup.

Internet advice is worth what you paid for it. For what its worth Good on ya for a good deal.

Beentown

Time for the Mall Ninja list:
Beretta 92fs, Springer XD9, High Standard Model HB, RRA bull bbl...aw heck with it time to go plink
Old May 27, 2010, 10:09 AM   #15
SmokyBaer

Quote:
+1... Same here. Lucky, I guess
Old May 27, 2010, 05:39 PM   #16
AK103K

Quote:
Ive owned three, the SOCOM was not the best. It worked for the most part, but once I started shooting it, it just got more annoying.

The stock was a poorly done over GI stock, and it was obvious once the brass started hitting the stock on ejection, chipping the paint off and exposing the GI finish. They ground off all the molded in checkering, making the grip to narrow. Luckily, Freds has nice M14 replacement stocks for very reasonable prices.

The rail was not ml spec (Spingfield "swore"" it was, just like they swore the stock was not a done over GI) ), and mil spec mounts would not work on it, and my Larue mounts would not go on at all. Its also made of steel, and gets VERY hot, and retains that heat.

As I mentioned earlier, the iron sights are fine for close up work, but once you get out to around 75-100 yards, they dont work as well, especially if your expecting any kind of precision. On the up side, you can replace them with a set of standard M1A iron sights made for the Bush/Scout models.

I was never able to disassemble the gun without a jewelers screw driver to get the op rod off. There were a couple of times, it didnt want to go back together too.

Quote:
Springfield Armory has a lifetime warranty on every weapon they selll,and they actually honor it with a smile.
Thats great and all, but its EXTREMELY annoying to buy a new gun, and have to send it right back because they cant take the time to make sure its right leaving the shop in the first place.

My other M1A's are/were older (mid 80's. early 90's) and were different guns from the SOCOM in a number of ways. Fit and finish were much better, and they were closer to proper specs and actually had a number of GI parts, not that I had any issue with the SOCOM's non GI parts failing, but I think thats part of the reason it was so hard to get the gun apart, and sometimes reassembled.

I wont even go into the numerous problems I've had with (mid 90's on) Springfields 1911 pistols. Simple answer, I wont ever buy another. Like the M1A's, the early guns were much better.
Old May 27, 2010, 07:53 PM   #17
2rugers

I had thought about those Socoms a time or two but this and Rockhouses locked thread would certainly give me pause.

Thank you for sharing your experience Rockhouse.
Old May 28, 2010, 08:05 AM   #18
pythagorean

I have read a few threads about older SOCOM 16s that had a few hiccups here and there. I got mine new almost 2 years ago. Serial Number 2400XX.
From the first day it worked using Win white box 147gr 7.62 NATO, Hornady 168gr BTHP TAP, and another special expensive load I can't remember now.
I find the bigger front sight easier to see at any range compared to the standard thinner ones on the longer barreled versions, but that is a personal preference.
With a Burris handgun scope on the rail atop finer precision is achieved, but since I never put a scope on a regular M1 A I can't compare accuracy.
With the Hornady loads I get under 2MOA with the scope no matter how hot the barrel is or what shot from first to last.
On a good day I could get 2 MOA from a standard length M1 A using the right ammo with the irons over sandbags.
I have heard the SOCOM 16s are rather hard to get these days.
I don't regret the purchase at all.

Tags
m1a , socom 16 , springfield armory